Big Ten lunchtime links
June, 13, 2011
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
Happy Luke Fickell Day:
- Fickell made his first major appearance as the Buckeyes coach at a high school camp over the weekend and showed lots of energy. Christopher Cicero, the man whose e-mails started Jim Tressel's downfall, is no stranger to controversy.
- Several Ohio State parents named their kids Tressel in the past few years, the Columbus Dispatch reports. They swear they don't regret it now. The official terms of Tressel's separation from the Buckeyes should be completed this week. Gordon Gee says Tressel was not given an ultimatum to resign.
- Brady Hoke says he'll use the Ohio State situation as a teaching opportunity for his Michigan Wolverines. Receiver Darryl Stonum is still suspended indefinitely.
- The Champaign News-Gazette's Loren Tate spent some time with outgoing Illinois athletic director Ron Guenther.
- Indiana got its first commitment for 2012 by picking up a lineman from Ohio.
- Pat Hardy predicts Iowa will start 7-1 this season -- but finish 8-4. A look at how the Iowa-Illinois rivalry nearly ended by a punch more than 50 years ago.
- Michigan State might not get the respect in the recruiting rankings, but the Spartans win on the field. Receiver/fullback Fred Smith is transferring from MSU after being buried on the depth chart.
- Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi is not in favor of giving college athletes more money.
- History suggests Bubba Starling's chances of becoming a Major League Baseball star are 50-50. Ranking the quarterbacks Nebraska will face in 2011.
- Northwestern added a recruit who can play linebacker, tight end or fullback.
- Penn State recruit Camren Williams is becoming a recruiter himself, trying to talk other prospects into joining him in State College. The Nittany Lions, though, haven't been able to keep all the top in-state prospects home. Rob Bolden is back on campus.
- Purdue's Carson Wiggs isn't your average kicker. That's evident by the fact that he was named team captain.
- Nick Toon's comments about Russell Wilson in an impromptu TV interview resulted in a minor NCAA violation for Wisconsin.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Iowa 24 Pittsburgh 20 Final Eastern Michigan 14 11 Michigan State 73 Final Western Illinois 7 Northwestern 24 Final Southern Illinois 13 Purdue 35 Final Bowling Green 17 19 Wisconsin 68 Final Maryland 34 Syracuse 20 Final Utah 26 Michigan 10 Final Rutgers 31 Navy 24 Final Massachusetts 7 Penn State 48 Final San Jose State 7 Minnesota 24 Final Texas State 35 Illinois 42 Final Indiana 31 18 Missouri 27 Final Miami (FL) 31 24 Nebraska 41