Big Ten lunch links
June, 14, 2011
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Because of all the Luke Fickell/Ohio State coverage from Monday, we'll split the links into two categories.
LUKE FICKELL/OHIO STATE
LUKE FICKELL/OHIO STATE
- The Columbus Dispatch's Rob Oller: "Fickell is wrestling room tough. Tressel was demanding in his own way. But Fickell should take it up a notch. He spoke yesterday of an 'all-in' mentality and of his personal steel. He vowed to 'attack every storm.'"
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Doug Lesmerises: "Fickell's toughness was lauded frequently Monday, with the tale of the time he played the entire 1997 Rose Bowl with a torn pectoral muscle he'd suffered in practice, repeated often. Ohio State needs that toughness more than ever -- on the sidelines, in the meeting rooms and in the parking lot while checking out license plates."
- The Columbus Dispatch's Ken Gordon: "Where Jim Tressel was always unflappable -- "never let them see you sweat" was his mentality -- his successor was visibly nervous, much less mechanical in his speech and more intense yesterday in his first news conference since taking over for Tressel on May 30."
- More on Fickell's introductory news conference here and here and here.
- Columbus attorney Christopher Cicero is being investigated for misconduct after tipping off Tressel last April.
- Former Buckeyes quarterback Terrelle Pryor signs with agent Drew Rosenhaus and supposedly threw passes to Chad Ochocinco.
- Ohio State running back Dan "Boom" Herron speaks about the situation in Columbus, Ed Puskas writes in the Tribune Chronicle.
- Wisconsin lands a big-time recruit from Buckeye country.
- Quarterback Cody Green's departure puts more pressure on Nebraska's Taylor Martinez, Steven M. Sipple writes in the Lincoln Journal Star. According to a breakdown of MLB draft picks, Bubba Starling has only a 50-50 chance to make it big in the big leagues, Dirk Chatelain writes in the Omaha World-Herald.
- All of Penn State's quarterbacks have returned to campus, but Rob Bolden should once again claim the starting role, statecollege.com's Mike Poorman writes. More Skype fun with JoePa (that's a big screen!).
- Colleague Bruce Feldman checks in with Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald (Insider).
- Plenty of Iowa/Big Ten talk on the latest "On Iowa" podcast with Marc Morehouse and Scott Dochterman.
- Kicker Carson Wiggs and his strong leg will be an asset for Purdue this fall, Jeff Burglund writes in The Exponent.
- Michigan's new look for its first home night game isn't a bad idea, Pat Caputo writes in The Morning Sun.