Big Ten lunchtime links
July, 8, 2011
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
Last links of the week ...
- Ohio State is changing the way it oversees athletes, including tighter scrutiny on players' car purchases and game passes. Gene Smith acknowledged that he asked Jim Tressel to resign and says the school is ready to respond to the NCAA allegations.
- Bubba Starling's dad says the quarterback will report to Nebraska this weekend for conditioning, but there are no guarantees that he stays there. Ex-Huskers QB Cody Green is looking at USC, along with Baylor and Tulsa.
- A former Penn State player has dedicated his life to the fight against cancer after watching his father succumb to the disease. Offensive lineman Eric Shrive has raised more than $23,000 for Friday's Lift for Life event. One writer sees no question about who should be the Nittany Lions quarterback this year.
- Marc Morehouse's countdown of the top Kirk Ferentz teams culminates with No. 1. The Hawkeyes picked up a highly rated defensive lineman on the recruiting front.
- A star running back recruit says he remains committed to Northwestern even though other schools are sniffing around him.
- Purdue picked up an in-state defensive back who might be moved to linebacker in college.
- Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez could get a new, $1 million a year deal.
Tweets from https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/lists/b1g