Big Ten lunch links
August, 23, 2011
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Served piping hot ...
- Don't forget to check out our Big Ten preview coverage.
- Some think Northwestern quarterback Dan Persa is limping, but coach Pat Fitzgerald calls it a "pimp walk," Tina Akouris writes in the Chicago Sun-Times.
- JoePa could play a big part in fixing college football, Stephanie Loh writes in The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News. Penn State linebacker Glenn Carson moves up the depth chart, Jake Kaplan writes in the Philadelphia Inquirer. Mike Yancich returns to linebacker from tight end, Ron Musselman writes in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- After appearing in a movie this summer, Iowa's Dominic Alvis could enter the on-field spotlight in the fall, Scott Dochterman writes in The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette. The new Cy-Hawk trophy justifiably gets panned.
- Rival ADs Dave Brandon (Michigan) and Mark Hollis (Michigan State) weigh in on several topics, Mark Snyder writes in the Detroit Free Press.
- Linebacker Max Bullough raises the bar for Michigan State's defense, Matt Charboneau writes in The Detroit News. Coach Mark Dantonio breaks down the latest Spartans scrimmage.
- The Times-Tribune's Donnie Collins previews the Leaders division.
- Ohio State offensive lineman Jack Mewhort prepares for a starting role, Ryan Autullo writes in The Toledo Blade. Buckeyes coach Luke Fickell doesn't like compliments, Bill Livingston writes in The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer.
- Freshman offensive lineman Tony Posada leaves Michigan, annarbor.com's Kyle Meinke writes.
- The buzz is building in Madison, colleague Bruce Feldman writes.
- Nebraska's Eric Martin lays the wood, Jon Nyatawa writes in the Omaha World-Herald. Huskers DT Jared Crick talks with "College Football Live."
- Some good thoughts on Illinois from The (Champaign) News-Gazette's Loren Tate. A truck driver's son could soon be carrying the load for Illinois' offense, GateHouse News Service's John Supinie writes.
- Minnesota's D.L. Wilhite provides hope for the future of college football, Chip Scoggins writes in the Star Tribune. Gophers tight end Eric Lair makes his presence known in his return to practice, Marcus Fuller writes in the (St. Paul) Pioneer Press.
- Here are four individuals worth watching at Purdue this season.