Big Ten lunch links
August, 23, 2011
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Served piping hot ...
- Don't forget to check out our Big Ten preview coverage.
- Some think Northwestern quarterback Dan Persa is limping, but coach Pat Fitzgerald calls it a "pimp walk," Tina Akouris writes in the Chicago Sun-Times.
- JoePa could play a big part in fixing college football, Stephanie Loh writes in The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News. Penn State linebacker Glenn Carson moves up the depth chart, Jake Kaplan writes in the Philadelphia Inquirer. Mike Yancich returns to linebacker from tight end, Ron Musselman writes in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- After appearing in a movie this summer, Iowa's Dominic Alvis could enter the on-field spotlight in the fall, Scott Dochterman writes in The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette. The new Cy-Hawk trophy justifiably gets panned.
- Rival ADs Dave Brandon (Michigan) and Mark Hollis (Michigan State) weigh in on several topics, Mark Snyder writes in the Detroit Free Press.
- Linebacker Max Bullough raises the bar for Michigan State's defense, Matt Charboneau writes in The Detroit News. Coach Mark Dantonio breaks down the latest Spartans scrimmage.
- The Times-Tribune's Donnie Collins previews the Leaders division.
- Ohio State offensive lineman Jack Mewhort prepares for a starting role, Ryan Autullo writes in The Toledo Blade. Buckeyes coach Luke Fickell doesn't like compliments, Bill Livingston writes in The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer.
- Freshman offensive lineman Tony Posada leaves Michigan, annarbor.com's Kyle Meinke writes.
- The buzz is building in Madison, colleague Bruce Feldman writes.
- Nebraska's Eric Martin lays the wood, Jon Nyatawa writes in the Omaha World-Herald. Huskers DT Jared Crick talks with "College Football Live."
- Some good thoughts on Illinois from The (Champaign) News-Gazette's Loren Tate. A truck driver's son could soon be carrying the load for Illinois' offense, GateHouse News Service's John Supinie writes.
- Minnesota's D.L. Wilhite provides hope for the future of college football, Chip Scoggins writes in the Star Tribune. Gophers tight end Eric Lair makes his presence known in his return to practice, Marcus Fuller writes in the (St. Paul) Pioneer Press.
- Here are four individuals worth watching at Purdue this season.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Eastern Illinois 20 Minnesota 42 Final Rutgers 41 Washington State 38
Final Penn State 26 UCF 24 Final Youngstown State 17 Illinois 28 Final Indiana State 10 Indiana 28 Final Northern Iowa 23 Iowa 31 Final Appalachian State 14 Michigan 52 Final 5 Ohio State 34 Navy 17 Final Western Michigan 34 Purdue 43 Final Florida Atlantic 7 22 Nebraska 55 Final California 31 Northwestern 24 Final James Madison 7 Maryland 52 Final 14 Wisconsin 24 13 LSU 28