Big Ten lunch links
August, 23, 2011
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Served piping hot ...
- Don't forget to check out our Big Ten preview coverage.
- Some think Northwestern quarterback Dan Persa is limping, but coach Pat Fitzgerald calls it a "pimp walk," Tina Akouris writes in the Chicago Sun-Times.
- JoePa could play a big part in fixing college football, Stephanie Loh writes in The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News. Penn State linebacker Glenn Carson moves up the depth chart, Jake Kaplan writes in the Philadelphia Inquirer. Mike Yancich returns to linebacker from tight end, Ron Musselman writes in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- After appearing in a movie this summer, Iowa's Dominic Alvis could enter the on-field spotlight in the fall, Scott Dochterman writes in The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette. The new Cy-Hawk trophy justifiably gets panned.
- Rival ADs Dave Brandon (Michigan) and Mark Hollis (Michigan State) weigh in on several topics, Mark Snyder writes in the Detroit Free Press.
- Linebacker Max Bullough raises the bar for Michigan State's defense, Matt Charboneau writes in The Detroit News. Coach Mark Dantonio breaks down the latest Spartans scrimmage.
- The Times-Tribune's Donnie Collins previews the Leaders division.
- Ohio State offensive lineman Jack Mewhort prepares for a starting role, Ryan Autullo writes in The Toledo Blade. Buckeyes coach Luke Fickell doesn't like compliments, Bill Livingston writes in The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer.
- Freshman offensive lineman Tony Posada leaves Michigan, annarbor.com's Kyle Meinke writes.
- The buzz is building in Madison, colleague Bruce Feldman writes.
- Nebraska's Eric Martin lays the wood, Jon Nyatawa writes in the Omaha World-Herald. Huskers DT Jared Crick talks with "College Football Live."
- Some good thoughts on Illinois from The (Champaign) News-Gazette's Loren Tate. A truck driver's son could soon be carrying the load for Illinois' offense, GateHouse News Service's John Supinie writes.
- Minnesota's D.L. Wilhite provides hope for the future of college football, Chip Scoggins writes in the Star Tribune. Gophers tight end Eric Lair makes his presence known in his return to practice, Marcus Fuller writes in the (St. Paul) Pioneer Press.
- Here are four individuals worth watching at Purdue this season.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
8:00 PM ET Fresno State Rice
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State