Big Ten lunchtime links
October, 7, 2011
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
When people get a little too chummy with me I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don't really care about them.
- The chips are down for Bo Pelini and Taylor Martinez, Dirk Chatelain writes. Nebraska needs its offensive line to take charge now more than ever, a task the group is willing to take on.
- Others may not be coming back, but the return of Mike Adams should boost Ohio State's offense. It's the Silver Bullets vs. the Blackshirts in Lincoln.
- Joe Paterno says he's not the head Penn State cheerleader after all. Twenty ways in which the Nittany Lions actually have Iowa's' number.
- For a guy who originally wanted to play quarterback, Marvin McNutt has been quite a catch for Iowa. The Hawkeyes' defense is on version 2.5.
- Illinois has a few areas to fix but has the tools to do so.
- Indiana coach Kevin Wilson can learn some things from Bill Mallory's first season (subscription required).
- Greg Mattison's loose-ball rules in practice have helped Michigan's defense find the end zone. Kick and punt coverage are two worrisome areas for the Wolverines.
- Northwestern linebacker Collin Ellis' hair-on-fire style impresses his teammates.
- Michael Amaefula is undersized for a defensive end and only 18 years old. But he's good enough to start for Minnesota.
- Purdue is looking for a few good men to step up as leaders.
- Major tests are coming for Michigan State's top-ranked defense.