More notes on Big Ten Top 25 games
October, 28, 2011
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Thanks to the fine folks at ESPN Stats & Information for these nuggets:
- Penn State coach Joe Paterno is going for his 409th career win this week, which would pass Eddie Robinson for the most in Division I history and the second most in NCAA history (all divisions). In his 46-year career, Paterno has beaten 80 different opponents, including 14 of them at least 10 times. Among the other 119 current FBS coaches, 90 of them don’t even have 80 career wins (minimum five years as an FBS coach). How do JoePa's wins against 80 different opponents stack up? Consider that Frank Beamer has the second-most wins among current FBS coaches (247), and he has beaten 60 different teams.
- Nebraska is 5-0 all-time against Michigan State, winning by a combined score of 181-34. The two teams haven’t met since the 2003 Alamo Bowl, a 17-3 Nebraska win. Current Cornhuskers head coach Bo Pelini was the interim head coach in that game, taking over for Frank Solich. It was Pelini’s first game as a head coach. He was later hired full-time as Nebraska’s head coach to start the 2008 season.
- The 200-yard mark has been the barometer for Nebraska this season. In all six of the Cornhuskers' wins, they have run for at least 200 yards. In their only loss, they were held to 159 yards against Wisconsin. Dating back to last season, the Huskers have won their last 16 games when rushing for at least 200 yards.
- If there is a weakness in the Wisconsin defense, it’s stopping the run. The Badgers are allowing more than 121 yards per game on the ground, ranking 34th nationally. Ohio State is averaging 175 yards per game on the ground this season.
- Nebraska has lost 16 of its last 18 games against AP top-10 teams since the start of the 2000 season. The Huskers' win over Missouri last season snapped a 13-game losing streak against AP top-10 opponents. Eleven of the losses have been by double digits, including six by at least 20 points.
- Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller has completed 6 of 20 passes from under center this season, and he has not completed more than one pass in a game from this formation since Week 1 versus Akron, when he completed four such passes.
- Purdue is aiming for consecutive wins at Michigan for the first time since a four-game stretch of victories from 1963-66.
- Michigan has also forced 19 turnovers in seven games this season, equaling the number it forced in 13 games last season.