More notes on Big Ten Top 25 games
November, 4, 2011
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
A few more notes for you on Saturday's games featuring Top 25 teams, courtesy of the fine folks at ESPN Stats & Information.
- Nebraska has won nine straight home games against current members of the Big Ten. No current Big Ten team has won in Lincoln in 30 years. No. 3 Penn State was the last to do it, in 1981.
- Expect a close game between Michigan and Iowa on Saturday. The past five meetings between these two teams in Iowa City have each been decided by six points or less. The combined margin of victory in those five games has been 17 points (one game went to overtime).
- Michigan State has won 12 consecutive home games, tying for the second-longest home winning streak in team history (last done from 1964-66). The Spartans' longest home win streak is 19 games, which happened between 1950-53.
- Nebraska has 17 rushing touchdowns of 40 yards or longer since the start of last season, which is five more than any other team in the FBS (five this season, tied for third nationally).
- The combined record of Michigan State's remaining opponents is 11-22. Just one of the Spartans' past four games comes against a team with a winning record (at 5-3 Iowa next week).
- Despite a two-game losing streak, Wisconsin still ranks in the top 10 nationally in scoring offense (sixth) and scoring defense (ninth). Boise State is the only other school to rank in the top 10 in both categories.
- Michigan has been a slow-starting team this season. The Wolverines have scored 49 points and allowed 42 in the first quarter in seven games. However, they are outscoring their opponents 195-65 after the first quarter.