More notes on Big Ten's Top 25 games
November, 11, 2011
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Some more nuggets on Big Ten games featuring Top 25 teams on Saturday, courtesy of the fine folks at ESPN Stats & Information:
- Penn State has won four games this season in which it did not score 17 points. That hasn’t happened since UAB did it in 2000. Penn State’s wins were against Temple (14-10), Indiana (16-10), Iowa (13-3), and Illinois (10-7).
- Nebraska leads the FBS with 17 rushing touchdowns of 40 yards or longer since the start of the 2010 season. The Cornhuskers are 9-1 when they have one such run, with the only loss coming in the 2010 Big 12 Championship game to Oklahoma.
- Michigan State's offense has been much different away from Spartan Stadium. In three road games, Michigan State has scored just 26 points combined and has struggled to get the run game going. The Spartans average just 67 rush yards on the road, versus 142.7 yards at home against teams from BCS automatic-qualifying conferences. Michigan State's Kirk Cousins recorded seven touchdown passes and no interceptions against Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota at home, but just two touchdown strikes and four interceptions in road games against Notre Dame, Ohio State and Nebraska.
- Cousins has thrown five touchdown passes from outside of the pocket this season after not throwing one touchdown outside of the pocket last season.
- Wisconsin's Russell Wilson is on pace to break several FBS records. He leads the nation in pass efficiency (196.7 rating), yards per pass attempt (11.1) and yards per play (10.1). The NCAA records are held by Hawaii's Colt Brennan (pass efficiency rating of 186 in 2006), BYU's Ty Detmer (yards per pass attempt of 11.1 in 1989) and Brennan (yards per play of 9.2 in 2006).
- Iowa's Marvin McNutt has 17 receptions of 20 yards or longer this season, the most in Big Ten. Five of these have gone for touchdowns. McNutt also leads the conference in touchdowns (9) and is second in yards (959) and receptions (57).
- Wisconsin running back Montee Ball is the only non-quarterback in the nation with at least two touchdowns in every game this season.
- Penn State has allowed just one run of 40 yards or longer this season (at Northwestern). The Nittany Lions have allowed just 24 runs of 10 yards or longer this season, fewest in the Big Ten and tied for third fewest in the FBS.