Urban Meyer-Ohio State links
November, 29, 2011
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Rather than bog down the regular lunch links with Urban Meyer news, it's all right here for you.
- Check out all our Urban Meyer-Ohio State blog content here.
- Colleague Brian Bennett: "Meyer is the perfect choice to lead Ohio State out of its yearlong misery and back to the top of the Big Ten, if not the country. But this will work long-term only if Meyer also fulfills his daughter's contract."
- Colleague Mark Schlabach: "When adversity struck, Meyer walked out the door. What's to stop him from doing it again?"
- Colleague Ivan Maisel: "That Meyer is going from one marquee program to another -- even with a year-long hiatus in between -- puts him in another small fraternity."
- The Plain Dealer's Doug Lesmerises:"After the most obvious coaching search in college football history, following maybe the most trying year in program history, Ohio State has claimed the throne as the luckiest college football program in America."
- SI.com's Andy Staples: "While the situations aren't identical, they're close enough. That should lift the heart of every Buckeye, because Meyer won a national title in Year Two at Florida."
- Fox Sports Ohio's Zac Jackson: "Just months after a scandal that's still lingering, cost a coaching legend his job and knocked a proud and successful program down more than a couple pegs, Meyer's return means not only Ohio State made the right hire, but it's a move that signifies the best and quickest way to recover from all that mess."
- The Associated Press' Jim Litke: "If signing the best available coach in the business was that easy -- and a reported 6-year, $40-million contract certainly didn't hurt -- keeping Meyer on the job until the end of the deal could prove a lot tougher."
- The Columbus Dispatch's Bob Hunter: "For a guy who values the time spent with his family, who thought he had quit coaching forever, taking over the Ohio State football program is like walking into the jaws of a monster."
- The Plain Dealer's Bill Livingston: "Meyer brings an unprecedented magnitude of star power to Ohio State coaching."
- Yahoo! Sports' Matt Hinton: "Urban Meyer is Ohio State's new head coach, and [Braxton] Miller is the engine of a new offense that will give him every opportunity to turn the murmur into a roar."
- The Lantern's Ben Axelrod: "So what can we determine from knowing that the worst calendar year in almost a quarter century of OSU football included both a win in a major bowl game and the hiring of arguably one of the greatest college football coaches alive? It's that OSU is simply too big to fail."
- The Orlando Sentinel's Mike Bianchi: "Urban Meyer became the new head coach at Ohio State on Monday and I’m sure he’s probably spewing the same disingenuous garbage in Columbus he spewed in Gainesville over the years."
- Luke Fickell is happy to remain on Meyer's staff as Ohio State, most likely as defensive coordinator, Bill Rabinowitz writes.
- Meyer's hire doesn't mitigate the uncertainty around the Buckeyes program.
- Keep an eye on LSU offensive coordinator Greg Studrawa as a possible addition to Meyer's staff. More on potential Meyer assistants from Along the Olentangy.
- Meyer is off and running on the recruiting trail, Alex Antonetz writes.
- Urban at a glance.
- Meyer's high school classmates are not surprisingly thrilled he's taking over at Ohio State.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Western Kentucky Illinois 12:00 PM ET McNeese State 22 Nebraska 12:00 PM ET Akron Penn State 12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Purdue 12:00 PM ET Howard Rutgers 12:00 PM ET Western Illinois 14 Wisconsin 3:30 PM ET Northern Illinois Northwestern 3:30 PM ET Middle Tennessee Minnesota 3:30 PM ET Ball State Iowa 3:30 PM ET Maryland South Florida 6:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 3 Oregon 7:30 PM ET Michigan 17 Notre Dame 8:00 PM ET Virginia Tech 5 Ohio State