Big Ten lunchtime links
December, 16, 2011
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
Happy bowl season eve:
- Michigan State punter Mike Sadler excelled on the field as a freshman and is doing some heavy lifting in the classroom as well. Georgia got a bit of a head start on the Spartans in its bowl preparation.
- Declining football attendance has meant a drop in revenue for Purdue.
- Urban Meyer made a strong first impression on the Ohio State players.
- Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald says he has no problem with schools recruiting committed players.
- Nebraska defensive end Joe Carter will be facing his home-state school in the Capital One Bowl. A group of Huskers have earned their diplomas in less than four years.
- Wisconsin quarterback Jon Budmayr suffered a setback with his troublesome elbow. Will offensive coordinator Paul Chryst get a call from Pittsburgh?
- Life threw a wicked curveball at Penn State's Tom Bradley. The Nittany Lions are being very methodical in their search for a new head coach.
- Vic Koenning says it might actually be easier for the Illinois players to make a fresh start when he leaves. Tim Beckman will make recruiting St. Louis a priority.
- Iowa picked up a wide receiver who's from Canada on the recruiting front, eh?
- Michigan defensive coordinator Greg Mattison blames the poor defensive showing against Ohio State on his own tendencies. Mike Martin should be an early-round NFL draft pick. A prized cornerback prospect who committed to Penn State could switch to the Wolverines.