Big Ten lunchtime links
February, 1, 2012
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
So when is national singing day?
- Ohio State and other Big Ten schools are offering recruits four-year scholarships instead of one-year, renewable ones. Signing day can be the career highlight for some players.
- The recruiting battle between Ohio State and Michigan State is becoming more heated, as the Spartans say Urban Meyer no longer honors a gentleman's agreement between the schools. Despite all their winning, the Spartans still trail Michigan in recruiting, analysts say.
- Michigan got a late recruiting surprise when an all-purpose back decommitted from Cincinnati and came on board for Brady Hoke. Some experts try to predict who the top players in the Wolverines' class will be.
- Bill O'Brien says his thoughts are only on the Patriots until this week is over. The Nittany Lions' signing class took a lot of hits. Former Penn State quarterback Kevin Newsome looks like he's headed to Temple.
- Ifeadi Odenigbo's name may be hard to spell and pronounce, but he could develop into the defensive playmaker Northwestern needs.
- Illinois coach Tim Beckman's first class includes four seniors on the current team. The new Illini staff is eager to turn the program around.
- A Texas offensive lineman became the 25th member of Indiana's class (subscription required).
- Iowa is dipping its toe in the junior college pool this year. The Hawkeyes went all the way to West Virginia to find their next punter.
- Jerry Kill specializes in making an impression in the home visit, even if he might put on a few extra pounds in the process.
- Nebraska was bracing for lots of drama on signing day.
- Former basketball player Greg Latta took a long road to Purdue as a defensive end recruit.
- Wisconsin will bring in the smallest recruiting class of Bret Bielema's tenure.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Iowa 24 Pittsburgh 20 Final Eastern Michigan 14 11 Michigan State 73 Final Western Illinois 7 Northwestern 24 Final Southern Illinois 13 Purdue 35 Final Bowling Green 17 19 Wisconsin 68 Final Maryland 34 Syracuse 20 Final Utah 26 Michigan 10 Final Rutgers 31 Navy 24 Final Massachusetts 7 Penn State 48 Final San Jose State 7 Minnesota 24 Final Texas State 35 Illinois 42 Final Indiana 31 18 Missouri 27 Final Miami (FL) 31 24 Nebraska 41