Big Ten lunch links
May, 3, 2012
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Here's your Thursday linkage.
- Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany reveals a proposal that would create playoff access for the best conference champs. It's important for the Big Ten to protect its Rose Bowl partnership.
- Athletic directors Dave Brandon (Michigan) and Mark Hollis (Michigan State) weigh in on the playoff issues.
- Penn State is moving defensive lineman Kyle Baublitz from end to tackle. Lions coach Bill O'Brien has "a pretty good idea" of how the team's quarterback situation will shake out. O'Brien understands the challenges he faces at Penn State.
- Take it from Minnesota coach Jerry Kill: "You hang around with turds, you'll finish third."
- Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio likens Le'Veon Bell to former Ohio State great Keith Byars. The Kirk Cousins-Keith Nichol connection could continue with the NFL's Washington Redskins.
- Tom Mulhern projects what Wisconsin's depth chart looks like coming out of the spring. The Badgers pick up a verbal commit for 2013.
- Kawann Short's decision to stay at Purdue could pay off for the standout defensive tackle.
- The Big Ten can embrace both the Rose Bowl and the national title, Tom Shatel writes.
- Iowa is paying lower guarantees for nonconference games this season. Like Iowa's other receivers, Kevonte Martin-Manley could see his production surge in the new offense this fall.
- A breakdown of Illinois' 2012 schedule.
- Assistant Ron Brown's remarks shouldn't be tolerated at a public institution like Nebraska, Blair Kerkhoff writes.
- Ohio State assistant Kerry Coombs has settled in well to his new role.
- A look inside draft night for Michigan's Mike Martin.
- Indiana linebacker Jeff Thomas gets a tryout with the Buffalo Bills (subscription required).
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Northwestern Iowa 12:00 PM ET Maryland Penn State 12:00 PM ET Wisconsin Rutgers 3:30 PM ET Purdue 15 Nebraska 3:30 PM ET Indiana Michigan 8:00 PM ET Illinois 16 Ohio State