Big Ten lunch links
June, 14, 2012
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
We always called each other good fellas. Like you said to, uh, somebody: You're gonna like this guy. He's all right. He's a good fella.
- Some good coverage from Wednesday's BCS meetings here and here and here.
- Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema says cornerback Devin Smith's injury might have cost the team a shot at a national title.
- Illinois defensive end Michael Buchanan suffered a broken jaw in an altercation. The Illini are pursuing an Ohio high school quarterback who could play several positions in college.
- Ohio State and Penn State both remain in the mix for one-time Buckeyes commit Alex Anzalone. Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer is awestruck at meeting Pete Rose.
- Penn State is finally making recruiting inroads in the Deep South. The Lions adds linebacker Brandon Bell to its 2013 recruiting class. Bill O'Brien shouldn't have retained two assistants from Joe Paterno's staff, Joe Starkey writes.
- A good piece by Sam McKewon on Nebraska's efforts and challenges of recruiting nationally.
- Big news as Brady Hoke calls Ohio State "Ohio State." Hoke also talked rivalries Wednesday, including Michigan's recent struggles against Michigan State.
- BTN.com's Tom Dienhart ranks the Big Ten's special teams units.
- More on Iowa quarterback James (Vandenberg) and the Giant Bear. The Hawkeyes' veterans offer advice for the recently arrested Greg Garmon and the team's other freshmen.
- Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio prepares for his first Father's Day without his dad. Spartans offensive coordinator Dan Roushar is pleased with what he has at quarterback.
- More accusers are set to testify Thursday against Jerry Sandusky. It's hard to believe, but Sandusky still has a small group of loyal supporters, Dan Wetzel writes.
- The preseason mags have mixed reviews on Purdue. The always entertaining Ryan Russell talks about his summer.
- Minnesota narrowly avoided losing scholarships as the latest APR report came out. The family of former Minnesota great Paul Giel donates some of Giel's Gopher memorabilia to the school.
- Offensive lineman recruit Brad North found a good fit at Northwestern.