Big Ten lunch links
June, 19, 2012
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Division I conference commissioners meet today and Wednesday in Chicago. Colleague Mark Schlabach and I will be on hand, so be sure and check the blog and the college football home page for coverage.
- Speaking of Mr. Cub Schlabach, he reports that college football's future postseason model is taking shape. The power conferences could get the biggest slices of the playoff revenue pie.
- NCAA rules compliance is a big part of Urban Meyer's contract at Ohio State. Buckeyes athletic director Gene Smith talks playoff and other topics.
- Purdue's Kawann Short has molded himself into a bona fide NFL prospect. Quarterback Rob Henry could see time at several spots for the Boilers this fall.
- The Jerry Sandusky trial hasn't hurt Penn State's football recruiting efforts. New coach Bill O'Brien has shined a positive light on the Lions. Stewart Mandel writes that the Sandusky trial has exposed Penn State's failure of leadership.
- The Norwood Teague era is under way at Minnesota. More on Teague's first day on the job as Gophers athletic director.
- Indiana will have a tough time making big strides on defense this fall. Hoosiers hoops coach Tom Crean goes to bat for football coach Kevin Wilson.
- Nebraska tries to continue its recent recruiting momentum. The Huskers' tradition lured prospect Nate Gerry to Lincoln.
- Michigan State will be challenged right away this season. Mark Hollis' new contract puts him fourth in salary among Big Ten athletic directors. Hollis sees bigger things ahead for MSU.
- The timing is right for Wisconsin to make another trip to Pasadena.
- In case you missed it, check out Michael Rothstein's piece on the "Hokeification" of Michigan football.
- After dealing with a heart ailment in 2011, Iowa fullback Brad Rogers is healthy and ready to go.
- Illinois is scouting two prep cornerbacks from Georgia.
- It's all about the running backs in the Big Ten this season.
- Stanford transfer Quinn Evans could give Northwestern some veteran leadership in the secondary.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
9:18 2nd Qtr Minnesota 3 Illinois 14 14:57 2nd Qtr Maryland 0 Wisconsin 17 10:54 2nd Qtr Rutgers 7 16 Nebraska 14 3:30 PM ET Michigan 8 Michigan State 8:00 PM ET 13 Ohio State Penn State