Big Ten lunch links
June, 19, 2012
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Division I conference commissioners meet today and Wednesday in Chicago. Colleague Mark Schlabach and I will be on hand, so be sure and check the blog and the college football home page for coverage.
- Speaking of Mr. Cub Schlabach, he reports that college football's future postseason model is taking shape. The power conferences could get the biggest slices of the playoff revenue pie.
- NCAA rules compliance is a big part of Urban Meyer's contract at Ohio State. Buckeyes athletic director Gene Smith talks playoff and other topics.
- Purdue's Kawann Short has molded himself into a bona fide NFL prospect. Quarterback Rob Henry could see time at several spots for the Boilers this fall.
- The Jerry Sandusky trial hasn't hurt Penn State's football recruiting efforts. New coach Bill O'Brien has shined a positive light on the Lions. Stewart Mandel writes that the Sandusky trial has exposed Penn State's failure of leadership.
- The Norwood Teague era is under way at Minnesota. More on Teague's first day on the job as Gophers athletic director.
- Indiana will have a tough time making big strides on defense this fall. Hoosiers hoops coach Tom Crean goes to bat for football coach Kevin Wilson.
- Nebraska tries to continue its recent recruiting momentum. The Huskers' tradition lured prospect Nate Gerry to Lincoln.
- Michigan State will be challenged right away this season. Mark Hollis' new contract puts him fourth in salary among Big Ten athletic directors. Hollis sees bigger things ahead for MSU.
- The timing is right for Wisconsin to make another trip to Pasadena.
- In case you missed it, check out Michael Rothstein's piece on the "Hokeification" of Michigan football.
- After dealing with a heart ailment in 2011, Iowa fullback Brad Rogers is healthy and ready to go.
- Illinois is scouting two prep cornerbacks from Georgia.
- It's all about the running backs in the Big Ten this season.
- Stanford transfer Quinn Evans could give Northwestern some veteran leadership in the secondary.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Eastern Illinois 20 Minnesota 42 Final Rutgers 41 Washington State 38
Final Penn State 26 UCF 24 Final Youngstown State 17 Illinois 28 Final Indiana State 10 Indiana 28 Final Northern Iowa 23 Iowa 31 Final Appalachian State 14 Michigan 52 Final 5 Ohio State 34 Navy 17 Final Western Michigan 34 Purdue 43 Final Florida Atlantic 7 22 Nebraska 55 Final California 31 Northwestern 24 Final James Madison 7 Maryland 52 Final 14 Wisconsin 24 13 LSU 28