Big Ten lunchtime links
August, 6, 2012
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
Nothing stops this train. Nothing.
- It's hard to predict what Illinois will do this season. Camp Rantoul is hoping the Illini keep coming back.
- Several freshmen got a long look in practice for the already-young Indiana Hoosiers (subscription required).
- Damon Bullock had better be ready to be the face of the Iowa running back corps. The Hawkeyes hosted a barbecue for recruits.
- Michigan's Jordan Kovacs still carries a chip on his shoulder as a former walk-on. The five hottest position battles as the Wolverines open camp includes the fight at left guard.
- Michigan State views the opening of training camp as "starting over." Some questions to ponder as the Spartans begin preseason preparations.
- Inside info helped Minnesota land what it thinks are some winners with its junior college transfers. Returning players helped the Gophers start off practice fast.
- Brett Maher continues a strong line of Nebraska kickers -- perhaps the strongest in the country the past 10 years. The Huskers' newcomers pass the eye test.
- Five preseason questions for Northwestern (subscription required). The Wildcats landed a running back from Cincinnati.
- Bill Rabinowitz and Tim May break down some of the issues Ohio State will face this season. Carlos Hyde seeks more consistent production.
- A Penn State professor says he's disturbed by what he calls the continuing addiction to football in State College. A comedian dressed up as Joe Paterno for a Roseanne Barr comedy roast. A look at the top young players who have chosen to stay at Penn State.
- Purdue's first practice left Danny Hope speechless. The Boilermakers have a good vibe going in camp.
- Previewing Wisconsin's special teams, which has to replace both its kicker and punter. Ten preseason questions for the Badgers.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Western Kentucky Illinois 12:00 PM ET McNeese State 19 Nebraska 12:00 PM ET Akron Penn State 12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Purdue 12:00 PM ET Howard Rutgers 12:00 PM ET Western Illinois 18 Wisconsin 3:30 PM ET Northern Illinois Northwestern 3:30 PM ET Middle Tennessee Minnesota 3:30 PM ET Ball State Iowa 3:30 PM ET Maryland South Florida 6:30 PM ET 7 Michigan State 3 Oregon 7:30 PM ET Michigan 16 Notre Dame 8:00 PM ET Virginia Tech 8 Ohio State