Big Ten lunch links
August, 9, 2012
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Working for the weekend ...
- In case you missed it, check out colleague Wright Thompson's excellent piece on Urban Meyer's quest to achieve balance. The youth movement is under way at Ohio State.
- Montee Ball had better be telling the truth, Dennis Dodd writes. Maryland transfer Danny O'Brien talks about competing for Wisconsin's top QB spot. After a string of major injuries, Curt Phillips is also in the mix for the Badgers at QB.
- An interesting look at the darkest day in Michigan football history. Michigan's Devin Gardner tries to master two positions -- quarterback and receiver -- in camp. The same could be the case for Wolverines defender Jake Ryan.
- Michigan State's Lawrence Thomas follows the path of William Gholston. The Spartans' defensive backs see leadership in new starting quarterback Andrew Maxwell.
- Big Ten coaches weigh in on the challenges of scheduling.
- Northwestern RB Mike Trumpy is healthy and ready to roll. Stanford transfer Quinn Evans came out of medical retirement to play for Northwestern. The Wildcats once again could look to a running back by committee.
- Quick Q&As with Purdue's offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator.
- Dustin Hockensmith looks at the Penn State players who now have big opportunities because of transfers. Tight end Dakota Royer leaves Penn State's program but remains enrolled in school.
- Nebraska's defensive tackles adjust to a new coordinator and a new position coach. Huskers defensive back Alonzo Moore is academically cleared by the NCAA.
- Jerry Kill's construction project at Minnesota is going well. The Gophers finally have depth at running back.
- Marc Morehouse tries to translate what the Big Ten Network guys gleaned from Iowa's practice. Outsmart your buddies with these random facts about Iowa football.
- Miles Osei has put himself in the thick of Illinois' QB race. Some Illini notes from Wednesday at Camp Rantoul.
- The attorneys for former Ohio State LB Storm Klein file a motion for dismissal.
- Indiana adds a running back to its 2013 recruiting class. Hoosiers TE Ted Bolser looks to rebound in 2012.
- BTN.com ranks the Big Ten headgear.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State