Big Ten lunchtime links
August, 13, 2012
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
There are two kinds of heists: those where the guys get away with it, and those that leave witnesses.
- Illinois cornerback Terry Hawthorne talks about how he avoided trouble in a tough upbringing and why earning his diploma is so important. Defense should again be the Ilini's strong suit.
- Indiana kicker Mitch Ewald says his leg is stronger than ever (subscription required).
- Some big names sat out Iowa's Saturday scrimmage. Pat Harty offers some Hawkeyes who might prove to be key to the season
- Drew Sharp argues that the moral high ground is more important than beating Alabama, which is why Michigan shouldn't play Fitz Toussaint in that game. A Big Ten title remains the goal for the Wolverines.
- Shilique Calhoun and Lawrence Thomas bring freakish athleticism to Michigan State's defensive end position. Defense ruled the Spartans' first fall scrimmage.
- Gophers offensive lineman Jimmy Gjere is trying to overcome concussion problems.
- Bo Pelini recognizes the need for a plan to deal with in-game adversity. There's risk and reward in the Huskers' junior-college injection on defense.
- Northwestern's receiving corps is aiming higher than just being the best in the Big Ten.
- Ohio State's Jake Stoneburner is now officially a wide receiver, not a tight end. Defensive end Nathan Williams is eager to return from microfracture knee surgery.
- Penn State's quarterbacks are still getting acclimated to Bill O'Brien's playbook. Slot receiver Alex Kenney is looking to make an impact on offense. Penn State trustees backed president Rodney Erickson's handling of NCAA sanctions.
- Purdue is working on a new halftime routine to reverse last year's third-quarter troubles.
- The assault on Montee Ball is unlikely to affect Wisconsin's focus, Tom Oates says. The Badgers are looking at smaller, lighter players to work on the punt shield team.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Eastern Illinois 20 Minnesota 42 Final Rutgers 41 Washington State 38
Final Penn State 26 UCF 24 Final Youngstown State 17 Illinois 28 Final Indiana State 10 Indiana 28 Final Northern Iowa 23 Iowa 31 Final Appalachian State 14 Michigan 52 Final 5 Ohio State 34 Navy 17 Final Western Michigan 34 Purdue 43 Final Florida Atlantic 7 22 Nebraska 55 Final California 31 Northwestern 24 Final James Madison 7 Maryland 52 Final 14 Wisconsin 24 13 LSU 28