Big Ten lunchtime links
August, 15, 2012
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
Links to get you over the hump.
- Gerald Hodges has proudly stuck with Penn State. Bill Belton is wearing the No. 1 jersey well as he tries to become the Nittany Lions' No. 1 tailback. Justin Brown gives more details about his transfer to Oklahoma. A former Philly sportswriter blasts Joe Paterno.
- The Ohio State offensive line has shed the bad rap Urban Meyer gave them in the winter. But the Buckeyes receivers still have a ways to go.
- Nebraska receiver Quincy Enunwa is a physical player who delivers some crushing blocks on the perimeter. Huskers defensive backs coach Terry Joseph knows how to relate to his players.
- Northwestern's Venric Mark is a small guy with big ambitions as the potential No. 1 tailback.
- If former Nebraska lineman Ryan Klachko ends up at Illinois as expected, it could reopen a pipeline to a successful Springfield high school for the Illini. Michael Buchanan could develop into the latest Illinois defensive lineman to become a first-round NFL pick.
- Iowa is getting its name out early and often in recruiting. The Hawkeyes are having a second open scrimmage because Kirk Ferentz thinks his young team needs it.
- Greg Mattison wants to see more consistency from the Michigan defense. Freshman defensive end Chris Wormley tore his ACL and will miss the year.
- Michigan State looks extremely deep on the defensive line. Cornerback Johnny Adams' stock continues to rise.
- Purdue running back Ralph Bolden is trying to come back from another knee injury, though he has no timetable yet.
- True freshman Dan Voltz is pushing to get early playing time on the Wisconsin offensive line. Redshirt freshman receiver Jordan Fredrick's rise can be credited to the Badgers way.
- Indiana got its eighth commitment, from an in-state defensive back/wide receiver. Kevin Wilson discusses Tuesday's practice.
- The death of Gary Tinsley led Minnesota linebacker Spencer Reeves to mature in a hurry this offseason. The Gophers had a contingency plan for the loss of Jimmy Gjere on the offensive line.
- Athlon ranks its 35 must-see Big Ten games this season.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Eastern Illinois 20 Minnesota 42 Final Rutgers 41 Washington State 38
Final Penn State 26 UCF 24 Final Youngstown State 17 Illinois 28 Final Indiana State 10 Indiana 28 Final Northern Iowa 23 Iowa 31 Final Appalachian State 14 Michigan 52 Final 5 Ohio State 34 Navy 17 Final Western Michigan 34 Purdue 43 Final Florida Atlantic 7 22 Nebraska 55 Final California 31 Northwestern 24 Final James Madison 7 Maryland 52 Final 14 Wisconsin 24 13 LSU 28