Big Ten lunchtime links
August, 16, 2012
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
Football, two weeks from today. Rejoice.
- Minnesota football has been a tough sell among the school's students, even with the new stadium. Jerry Kill is high on his large freshman class.
- The Michigan State offense is dealing with several injuries. Andrew Maxwell's mastery of the Spartans' playbook impresses his teammates. Coaches have been short on praise for DeAnthony Arnett, but the Tennessee transfer promises he'll be productive.
- Only in Big Red land: Nebraska offensive linemen say they get as much attention as a USC quarterback. Big-hitting safety Daimion Stafford isn't about to get comfortable.
- Corey "Philly" Brown wants to fill the playmaker role in the Ohio State offense.
- Iowa linebacker James Morris sees a better Hawkeyes defense than others are projecting.
- Pat Fitzgerald talks about Northwestern practice.
- A closer look at Illinois linebacker/safety Ashanti Williams. Peering into the mystery that is the Illini this season.
- Michigan corner Blake Countess is working to correct his freshman mistakes. Stephen Hopkins remade his body to become a weapon at fullback.
- Wisconsin middle linebacker Chris Borland got some work as an edge rusher in practice and enjoyed it. Promising freshman receiver Jordan Fredrick got banged up.
- Indiana hopes stability leads to a turnaround in Year 2 under Kevin Wilson.
- Purdue's Kawann Short is looking for a huge senior season.
- Tight ends are going to be more active in the Penn State offense. Untested receivers Christian Kuntz and Evan Lewis are contending for playing time at a depleted position.
- Sports Illustrated's Top 25 includes five Big Ten teams, including two in the top 10.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Penn State Illinois 12:00 PM ET Indiana 6 Ohio State 12:00 PM ET 25 Minnesota 23 Nebraska 12:00 PM ET Northwestern Purdue 12:00 PM ET Rutgers 11 Michigan State 3:30 PM ET 16 Wisconsin Iowa 3:30 PM ET Maryland Michigan