Big Ten lunchtime links
August, 20, 2012
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
I'm in the empire business.
- Mark Tupper predicts a 7-5 season for Illinois. The Illini need to fix their special teams, and Tim Beckman is trying to do just that.
- Stephen Houston is looking to power up the Indiana running game.
- Damon Bullock is no longer under the radar at Iowa. Pat Harty lists 10 Hawkeyes on the verge of a breakout season.
- Michigan cornerback J.T. Floyd now sees what his coaches have been preaching. Bob Asmussen explains why he voted the Wolverines No. 1 in the Associated Press poll. Punter Will Hagerup says last year's four-game suspension led to his troubles.
- A former Ohio State defensive end is reportedly transferring to Michigan State. The Spartans' offensive line is determined to run the ball effectively this season. Linebacker Chris Norman wants to be a shining example of hope to troubled neighborhoods in Detroit.
- Patrick Reusse says it's up to Minnesota fans to create a game-day atmosphere. A sibling rivalry drives Gophers safety Brock Vereen.
- Huskers linebacker Sean Fisher might get another year of eligibility but is treating this season as if it's his last. Rex Burkhead deserves a signature moment in his senior season.
- Kyle Prater finally looked healthy in a Northwestern scrimmage over the weekend.
- Ohio State named its captains. A redshirt season paid off for Buckeyes offensive lineman Marcus Hall as he got his academic house in order.
- Penn State added a linebacker from Florida who is joining the team today. Nittany Lions fans are keeping a close eye on quarterback Christian Hackenberg's every move. The defensive line gives this year's team hope.
- Some questions were answered in camp but others still remain at Purdue.
- Practice performance made it obvious that Danny O'Brien would be Wisconsin's starting quarterback. The Badgers' big goal is to stop big plays on defense.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Western Kentucky Illinois 12:00 PM ET McNeese State 22 Nebraska 12:00 PM ET Akron Penn State 12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Purdue 12:00 PM ET Howard Rutgers 12:00 PM ET Western Illinois 14 Wisconsin 3:30 PM ET Northern Illinois Northwestern 3:30 PM ET Middle Tennessee Minnesota 3:30 PM ET Ball State Iowa 3:30 PM ET Maryland South Florida 6:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 3 Oregon 7:30 PM ET Michigan 17 Notre Dame 8:00 PM ET Virginia Tech 5 Ohio State