Big Ten lunchtime links
August, 24, 2012
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
Last weekend of the year without football. Spend this time saying goodbye to your families.
- Lots of hype is surrounding C.J. Fiedorowicz, but the Iowa tight end is keeping a level head. The Hawkeyes hope to have a more diversified passing attack this year.
- Last year's injury put everything in focus for Minnesota's Troy Stoudermire. Brendan Beal has been around so long that he was a teammate of Tim Tebow at Florida. Now, he's hoping to make an impact for the Gophers this season.
- A leaner Zach Boren could be in line for some carries this fall for Ohio State. The return of Nathan Williams could make the Buckeyes' defensive line the best in the Big Ten.
- Indiana running back David Blackwell fulfilled a dream by earning a scholarship (subscription required). Linebacker Jacarri Alexander is bringing enthusiasm to the Hoosiers defense.
- Josh Mitchell is making a strong case to start at cornerback for Nebraska. The Huskers' secondary is still mixing and matching.
- Michigan State named Chris Norman, Andrew Maxwell and Max Bullough as team captains for 2012. Mark Dantonio has his lineup for Boise State "90 percent" set.
- Some notes from Thursday's Purdue practice.
- Linebacker Derek Landisch might not start for Wisconsin but will find his way onto the field a lot. The Badgers are looking for better kickoff coverage this season.
- Northwestern's defense is striving to atone for last season's crummy performance.
- The Illini appear to have settled on their starting kicker and punter.
- Michigan is down to five scholarship reserves on the offensive line after Chris Bryant's injury. The Wolverines had to make the finances work in order to agree to the Alabama game.
- Penn State's coaching staff has the third-most years of experience in the Big Ten. Matt McGloin praised the way the Nittany Lions coaches develop quarterbacks -- and him.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Illinois Northwestern 12:00 PM ET Purdue Indiana 12:00 PM ET Michigan 6 Ohio State 3:30 PM ET 10 Michigan State Penn State 3:30 PM ET 18 Minnesota 14 Wisconsin 3:30 PM ET Rutgers Maryland