Big Ten lunch links
September, 6, 2012
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Two days till Big Ten football, three days till Bearmageddon in Chicago.
- Purdue QB Robert Marve has grown up a lot since his last trip to South Bend. BTN.com's Tom Dienhart checks in with Purdue star DT Kawann Short.
- Penn State top RB Bill Belton sits out practice Wednesday. Belton's likely replacement against Virginia, Derek Day, has maximized his opportunities. The Lions' new offense has been a great fit for TE Kyle Carter.
- Wisconsin standout WR Jared Abbrederis still has a walk-on's mindset. Badgers' defenders try to limit lapses late in practice.
- As first reported here, Ohio State and Penn State can be named official Leaders Division champs.
- Nebraska's Taylor Martinez has blended old and new to develop as a quarterback. Rex Burkhead sits out another practice, but CB Mohammed Seisay will play at UCLA.
- The Big Ten Network's Dave Revsine goes inside the numbers for Week 2 in the league.
- Michigan LT Taylor Lewan calls out the offensive line for an "embarrassing" performance against Bama. Brady Hoke has decided who will wear Bennie Oosterbaan's unretired No. 47 on Saturday.
- Illinois QB Nathan Scheelhaase is improving in his recovery from an ankle injury. An Illini tight end (Jon Davis) stole the spotlight from the running backs in the opener.
- Despite Northwestern's defensive struggles against Syracuse, coach Pat Fitzgerald tells Vanderbilt to "bring it" Saturday. Northwestern's "jet" team showed it can take flight.
- The opener was no fluke: Minnesota S Derrick Wells is a natural playmaker. Freshmen at Minnesota can attend Saturday's home opener for free. Jerry Kill is following the Glen Mason path of scheduling, Patrick Reusse writes.
- Ohio State tries to find the balance of how much to run talented QB Braxton Miller. More Buckeyes notes from their top beat guy.
- Jamie Samuelsen has some thoughts on Michigan, Michigan State and Twitter.
- Don't expect too many changes in Michigan State's secondary against Central Michigan. The Spartans receivers hope to broaden their roles in Week 2.
- Kinnick Stadium gives Iowa a big edge in its rivalry with Iowa State. Three story lines heading into Iowa-Iowa State.
- Indiana freshman offensive lineman Jason Spriggs has next-level talent (subscription required).
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Western Kentucky Illinois 12:00 PM ET McNeese State 19 Nebraska 12:00 PM ET Akron Penn State 12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Purdue 12:00 PM ET Howard Rutgers 12:00 PM ET Western Illinois 18 Wisconsin 3:30 PM ET Northern Illinois Northwestern 3:30 PM ET Middle Tennessee Minnesota 3:30 PM ET Ball State Iowa 3:30 PM ET Maryland South Florida 6:30 PM ET 7 Michigan State 3 Oregon 7:30 PM ET Michigan 16 Notre Dame 8:00 PM ET Virginia Tech 8 Ohio State