Big Ten lunchtime links
October, 5, 2012
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
Let's go, Redbirds.
- Protecting the quarterback is still a work in progress for Wisconsin. Kyle French is getting a second chance as the Badgers' field goal kicker.
- Purdue feels like it's in a better position to stop Denard Robinson this year. Boilers offensive lineman Devin Smith is thriving because of his brother.
- Bill O'Brien cherishes the role players at Penn State. Zach Zwinak is carrying the load at running back. Four keys for the Lions versus Northwestern.
- Jack Mewhort has become one of Ohio State's best offensive linemen -- and a highly entertaining Twitter author. Linebacker Etienne Sabino is now "a grown man."
- Northwestern's offensive linemen embrace the nickname "Big Cats."
- New Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst might find some rugged terrain, especially after his hiring appears to have rankled Tom Osborne and Bo Pelini. Humility is a trait that sticks out about Eichorst. Taylor Martinez and the Huskers' offense have to prove themselves on the road.
- New Michigan State starting center Ethan Ruhland has his sights set on medical school. Coaches say quarterback Andrew Maxwell is not the problem for the offense.
- Michigan cornerback Courtney Avery is proud of his history-making relative, George Jewett. Brady Hoke says wearing a headset is overrated.
- Tackling Kevin Wilson and the Indiana quarterback battle (subscription required). The history of the Old Brass Spittoon.
- Illinois' tough start is taking its toll on coaches and players.
- Here is Dave Revsine's weekly numbers column for BTN.
- The game formerly known as the TicketCity Bowl is now the Heart of Dallas Bowl.