Big Ten lunchtime links
December, 17, 2012
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
Well, that was a wild "Homeland" finale.
- Illinois is seeking an identity for 2013.
- Iowa handed out some season-ending awards. The Hawkeyes lost a four-star recruit to Michigan.
- Michigan's true freshmen offensive linemen look promising. The Wolverines picked up two big commitments from the same high school.
- Michigan State took a look at some young players at bowl practice. The Spartans' offense hopes Le'Veon Bell and Dion Sims come back, but they're not holding their breath.
- Minnesota coach Jerry Kill didn't like the way he was portrayed in a New York Times article.
- Bo Pelini says Nebraska doesn't need to apologize for winning 10 games -- even if the three losses were ugly. The Huskers could be fielding three new starters at linebacker next year.
- Freshman superback Dan Vitale has blossomed into a threat.
- Reserve wide receiver Verlon Reed is leaving Ohio State. Buckeyes AD Gene Smith is a polarizing figure for some.
- Penn State picked up a junior college QB to give itself some much-needed depth at the position. The Nittany Lions were recognized for academic achievement.
- Purdue receiver Dolapo McCarthy found out he'd earned a scholarship shortly after his father passed away.
- Barry Alvarez pondered naming himself full-time Wisconsin coach to help keep assistants on board but decided he couldn't do it. Badgers defensive lineman Brendan Kelly will be getting another chance next year.
- The Big Ten needs to shake off its bowl rut, Drew Sharp writes.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Iowa Pittsburgh 12:00 PM ET Eastern Michigan 11 Michigan State 12:00 PM ET Western Illinois Northwestern 12:00 PM ET Southern Illinois Purdue 12:00 PM ET Bowling Green 19 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET Maryland Syracuse 3:30 PM ET Utah Michigan 3:30 PM ET Rutgers Navy 4:00 PM ET Massachusetts Penn State 4:00 PM ET San Jose State Minnesota 4:00 PM ET Texas State Illinois 4:00 PM ET Indiana 18 Missouri 8:00 PM ET Miami (FL) 24 Nebraska