Big Ten lunchtime links
February, 22, 2013
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
Close only counts in horse grenades. It's a saying. 'Cause if you're playing horseshoes and then you throw a grenade at a horse, it doesn't have to be that close and you can still blow the horse's legs off. It's from the movie "Seabiscuit."
- Not surprisingly after a 2-10 season, Illinois is keeping 2013 ticket prices the same as last year.
- Minnesota Vikings special teams assistant Chris White is expected to be named Iowa running backs coach. Micah Hyde, who once chased down Venric Mark from behind, needs to show that kind of speed at the NFL combine.
- Ex-Ohio State lineman Reid Fragel says he might have gone to Michigan had Lloyd Carr not retired. The Wolverines' pro day will be March 14, with a dozen players set to take part.
- Urban Meyer gets credit for forging Fragel into an NFL offensive line prospect. Jake Stoneburner talked to the Browns.
- Will Mark Dantonio consider outside candidates for the vacant Michigan State offensive coordinator job? Analysts give their take on the Spartans' draft hopefuls.
- Two eyebrow-raising prospects who are considering Nebraska. A preview of the Huskers' 2013 special teams.
- Bill O'Brien was a hit on the Penn State banquet circuit. NFL general managers are impressed with Michael Mauti. The Nittany Lions are excited to open their season at MetLife Stadium vs. Syracuse.
- Josh Johnson and Kawann Short will represent Purdue at the NFL combine.
- Wisconsin's Montee Ball and Travis Frederick are looking to boost their draft stock this weekend.
- A former Minnesota quarterback recruit has found a home as a small-school basketball player.