Big Ten lunch links
March, 14, 2013
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
The Big Ten hoops tournament is under way. If you need a break from roundball, check out the links.
- Some good Big Ten news nuggets (division alignment, future schedules) at the bottom of this Iowa recruiting story.
- Mark Snyder looks at five things to watch when Michigan opens spring ball. Top recruit Da'Shawn Hand visits Michigan this weekend. Michigan running back Vincent Smith discusses The Hit and other topics.
- Nebraska's coaches are taking no chances with top quarterback Taylor Martinez this spring (subscription required). After ripping his team after Saturday's workout, Huskers coach Bo Pelini sees progress.
- Wisconsin defensive end David Gilbert will undergo foot surgery Friday and miss the rest of the spring. The Badgers enter a brand-new era under Gary Andersen this spring.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers continue to closely scout Michigan State's NFL hopefuls. The Spartans' best draft prospect according to one scout -- cornerback Darqueze Dennard -- will be back in East Lansing for his senior season. Despite a reduced role at Michigan State, running back Larry Caper thinks he can make it in the NFL.
- Rather than leave Michigan to train for the draft, Denard Robinson is staying to finish his degree.
- Purdue coordinators John Shoop and Greg Hudson discuss the upcoming spring session.
- Greg Pickel looks at a Penn State offensive line looking to reload this spring. Lions linebacker Gerald Hodges tries to brush aside distractions as he prepares for the draft. A group of former PSU players is seeking answers from the school's board of trustees.
- Some good notes and nuggets from Northwestern's most recent spring practice. Mila Kunis has a Northwestern jersey waiting for her.
- A closer look at Minnesota defensive tackle Cameron Botticelli.
- Illinois and Indiana are among the finalists for offensive line recruit Nick Allegretti. Illinois will host "Chicago Homecoming" events leading up to its game against Washington at Soldier Field.
- Ohio State's coaches are looking to Joshua Perry to fill a void at linebacker (subscription required).
- Check out the highlights of Indiana's max squat competition before spring break.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Eastern Illinois 20 Minnesota 42 Final Rutgers 41 Washington State 38
Final Penn State 26 UCF 24 Final Youngstown State 17 Illinois 28 Final Indiana State 10 Indiana 28 Final Northern Iowa 23 Iowa 31 Final Appalachian State 14 Michigan 52 Final 5 Ohio State 34 Navy 17 Final Western Michigan 34 Purdue 43 Final Florida Atlantic 7 22 Nebraska 55 Final California 31 Northwestern 24 Final James Madison 7 Maryland 52 Final 14 Wisconsin 24 13 LSU 28