Big Ten lunch links
August, 6, 2013
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Every Big Ten team has hit the practice field for preseason camp. It's almost here, folks ...
- Michigan State linebacker Max Bullough inspires his teammates on the eve of camp. Spartans coach Mark Dantonio has a lot to prove after a disappointing 2012 season, Drew Sharp writes. An amazing story: MSU lineman Micajah Reynolds saved a teenager's life last week in Lansing. Spartans backup quarterback Connor Cook is impressing Dantonio and the coaching staff. So is young offensive tackle Jack Conklin.
- Wisconsin senior offensive lineman Ryan Groy is ready to start at left tackle. The Badgers' first practice didn't provide many clues. Linebacker Conor O'Neill is prepared for a bigger role this season.
- Fitzgerald Toussaint has no doubt he'll be Michigan's starting running back. Michigan speedster Dennis Norfleet is on the move again, this time to slot receiver. After missing most of last season with injury, Wolverines CB Blake Countess has a new appreciation for the game. More notes from Ann Arbor as Michigan opens camp.
- Penn State quarterback Tyler Ferguson is back with the team and ready to compete for a starting job. A good look at the opening of Penn State's preseason camp. Some notable player weight changes on Penn State's updated roster.
- Minnesota's defensive line gets a boost as Roland Johnson returns. The Gophers' QB competition is close between Philip Nelson and Mitch Leidner.
- Enrolling early at Purdue is paying off for quarterback Danny Etling. Boilers safety Landon Feichter wants to become a bigger playmaker. Plenty of video from Purdue's practice Monday.
- Sophomore linebacker David Santos will have a big voice on Nebraska's defense this year. Nebraska's Cole Pensick wants to take on a bigger role at center this season. Former Huskers defensive end Ernest Suttles lands at the U.
- Pat Fitzgerald is excited about Northwestern's wide receivers. Wildcats quarterback Kain Colter weighs in on autographs and Johnny Football. Some good notes as Northwestern opens camp.
- Iowa offensive lineman Drew Clark has left the program. We can debate whether this is true or not, but Iowa's Kirk Ferentz makes a coach hot seat list. Party on, Hawkeyes.
- Indiana's offensive line could turn a corner this season with more size and depth. The Hoosiers need a fast start this fall, Andy Graham writes (subscription required). IU's veteran defenders know youth must be served for the unit to make strides.
- Illinois offensive coordinator Bill Cubit breaks down the team's QB situation. One of the Illini quarterbacks, Reilly O'Toole, says he isn't going anywhere. All the quarterbacks need more help from the receivers, Loren Tate writes.
- Maryland soon will jump in the deep end in the Big Ten.
- The BTN preseason practice tour is off and running.