Big Ten lunch links
August, 8, 2013
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Happy happiness happens day.
- LSU's athletic director reveals the details of a future series with Wisconsin, but a Wisconsin official says nothing has been finalized. Dan Voltz tries to continue Wisconsin's exceptional legacy at the center spot. Badgers linebacker Derek Landisch makes a push for a starting spot. A look inside Wisconsin's first camp under Gary Andersen.
- A big day for Michigan State's recruiting as quarterback Jayru Campbell commits to the Spartans. Freshman quarterback Damion Terry says a redshirt hasn't been discussed yet. The Spartans' QB race won't really be decided until the games start, Graham Couch writes. Michigan State's unproven running backs step up in practice.
- Purdue's offensive line tries to set an aggressive tone in camp. Some notes from Day 4 of Boilers camp.
- Some good notes/observations from Ohio State's Wednesday workout. Buckeyes freshman safety Jayme Thompson broke his ankle Wednesday and will miss three months. There's no cause for alarm regarding the memorabilia Buckeyes quarterback Braxton Miller recently signed.
- Minnesota's coaches have high hopes for the defense this season. Gophers head coach Jerry Kill says the buck stops with him. Patrick Reusse doesn't expect Kill's third year to be the same as Glen Mason's (8-4) at Minnesota.
- Michigan offensive coordinator Al Borges sees the "fire" in running back Fitz Toussaint. The Wolverines' defense comes together in camp. Defensive end Frank Clark is backing up the hype early in the preseason.
- According to Bill O'Brien, offensive lineman Donovan Smith remained at Penn State despite 50 offers to transfer without penalty. Some Penn State faculty members are urging others to support the Paterno family lawsuit against the NCAA.
- Taylor Martinez talks up his little brother, Drake, a Nebraska freshman defensive back. Despite losing all three starters, Nebraska should have enough options at linebacker. Some good Huskers personnel notes/observations from Sam McKewon.
- Illinois linebacker Eric Finney, a likely starter at the "star" position, suffers a knee injury Wednesday. A quick look at Illini senior receiver Ryan Lankford.
- Indiana is on the lookout for a featured running back (subscription required). Some good stuff here as Hoosiers coach Kevin Wilson is mic'd up.
- Jordan Lynch and his Northern Illinois teammates gear up for another shot at Iowa.
- Stewart Mandel contrasts the reaction to the Johnny Manziel mess vs. Terrelle Pryor mess in 2011.
- Check out the shoes on Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany as he's asked about ... wait for it ... expansion.