Big Ten helmet stickers: Week 3
September, 15, 2013
Recognizing the best and brightest from the Big Ten in Week 3:
- Indiana RBs Tevin Coleman and Stephen Houston: The Hoosiers have a dynamic duo in their offensive backfield. Coleman carried 19 times for 129 yards and a pair of touchdowns, including a 43-yarder, while Houston added 155 yards on only 13 carries, including a 60-yard burst. Indiana overpowered Bowling Green for 266 yards and four scores in a 42-10 victory. Quarterback Nate Sudfeld and a resilient defense also merit mentions here.
- Ohio State QB Kenny Guiton and RB Jordan Hall: We'd say the Buckeyes are dealing with the absences of Braxton Miller and Carlos Hyde just fine, thank you. Guiton continues to be the super sub and had a career day in the 52-34 win at Cal, throwing for 276 yards and four touchdowns and running for another 92. Dare we say ... Kenny Football? Hall, meanwhile, might make Hyde work to get carries when his suspension ends after next weekend. The senior ran for 168 yards on 30 carries and scored a career-high three touchdowns.
- Michigan State QB Connor Cook: We normally lean against awarding stickers to players who faced FCS opponents. But we're just so happy to see somebody, anybody make some plays at quarterback for Michigan State and perhaps finally end the carousel there. Cook went 15-for-22 for 205 yards and four touchdowns -- twice as many as the Spartans' entire offense had in the first two games -- in a 55-17 win over Youngstown State. At least we know who Michigan State's starter is for next week vs. Notre Dame.
- Iowa RB Mark Weisman: The Hawkeyes' bruising back didn't break the plane of the end zone, but he might have broken the back of Iowa State with his pounding style. Weisman did some heavy duty work on Yom Kippur, carrying the ball 35 times for 145 times and helping Iowa control the line of scrimmage most of the day in a much-needed 27-21 win. Both sides of the trenches came through for Kirk Ferentz's team, which also held the Cyclones to just 59 rushing yards.
- Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon: Even though the Badgers lost -- a defeat their fans will likely dispute for years to come -- Gordon was amazing at Arizona State. He ran for 193 yards and two touchdowns on just 15 carries, including an 80-yard score to open the second half. He is averaging 12.9 yards per carry on the season. Yeah, he might need more touches.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
6:00 PM ET Marshall Northern Illinois 9:30 PM ET Navy San Diego State
12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Western Kentucky 8:00 PM ET Fresno State Rice
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State