Big Ten lunch links
September, 16, 2013
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Still waiting for Kyle French's game-winning field-goal attempt. Ridiculous.
- Plenty of criticism here and here and here and here for the officiating at the end of the Wisconsin-Arizona State game. Grades for the Badgers here and here. The Bielemas just can't stay away.
- Views on Nebraska's collapse from Lee Barfknecht, Steve Sipple, Tom Shatel and Sam McKewon. Tommie Frazier sounds off on the Huskers' woes. UCLA's defense got a handle on Nebraska's attack. Everyone in red is searching for answers.
- Michigan's narrow win against Akron raises red flags, Jeff Seidel writes. Wolverines lineman Taylor Lewan didn't hold back after the disappointing performance. Michigan's run game and O-line hit a wall against the Zips. Some rough report cards for Michigan here and here.
- Michigan State made clear progress, but don't get carried away, Graham Couch writes. Joe Rexrode tackles key Spartans questions. MSU coach Mark Dantonio is ready for a statement game against Notre Dame. So does wideout Macgarrett Kings Jr., who has "no doubt" the Spartans will win in South Bend.
- After Jerry Kill's latest seizure, folks are asking questions about whether he should continue as Minnesota's coach. Kill spent Sunday resting. Quarterback Mitch Leidner stepped in for the injured Philip Nelson and could take Nelson's starting job.
- Ohio State had so much fun at Cal it wanted to play another quarter. You can't get enough of quarterback Kenny Guiton's brilliance. What the Buckeyes said after the Cal win.
- Bob Flounders looks back at Penn State's missed opportunities against UCF. It was a rough night for the Lions' defense. Grades for PSU here and here.
- Despite Saturday's loss, Illinois' future looks brighter, David Haugh writes. Mark Tupper weighs in on Illinois' Soldier Field showing. It was a rough night for Illinois' defense. Grades for the Illini.
- Mike Hlas ranks the Big Ten Week 3 performances. Tom Dienhart's Week 3 thoughts and latest Big Ten power rankings.
- Sad news as former Northwestern and Minnesota assistant Mike Dunbar loses his battle with cancer.
- Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald doesn't like playing true freshmen, but he couldn't leave Warren Long on the sideline. Treyvon Green continues to do the Wildcats' heavy lifting at running back. A look back at Northwestern's latest win.
- Iowa went to Mark Weisman early and often in the win at Iowa State. The Hawkeyes' B.J. Lowery lived the "life of a corner" in Saturday's game. Iowa regained a rivalry trophy but lost some items as someone vandalized its locker room.
- Indiana didn't hold back in thumping Bowling Green. The Hoosiers' defense responded in a big way. The latest from IU coach Kevin Wilson.
- Purdue's offense makes strides in a loss to Notre Dame. Despite the outcome, Purdue earns some decent grades. The Boilers focus on the positives.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Purdue Illinois 12:00 PM ET 20 Ohio State Maryland 2:30 PM ET North Texas Indiana 3:30 PM ET 17 Wisconsin Northwestern 7:00 PM ET Michigan Rutgers 8:00 PM ET 19 Nebraska 10 Michigan State