Big Ten lunchtime links
February, 26, 2014
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Gimme five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I ... oh, yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time.
- Pay raises for Mark Dantonio and his assistants show Michigan State is serious about staying at the elite level. More details on the raises.
- Devin Gardner surprised many, including his coach, by participating fully in Michigan's first spring practice. New Wolverines offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier will make $830,000 and has a three-year contract.
- Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald has left the disappointing 2013 season behind.
- Ohio State was down to just 55 active scholarship players by the end of last season.
- New Penn State assistant Herb Hand has a history of working with child sex abuse victims and thinks he can make a difference in his new community. Inside the Nittany Lions' winter workouts.
- Examining the state of Iowa's quarterback position.
- Minnesota's Ra'Shede Hageman and Brock Vereen had very good NFL combine showings.
- Rutgers' recruiting director recruits his players to go on relief missions to Haiti.
- Chad Wilt is jumping into his new job as Maryland's defensive line coach.
- Bret Bielema's reputation has taken a major hit, Stewart Mandel writes.
- Could Friday night games be in the Big Ten's future?