Wednesday, August 13, 2014
Bovada sets B1G stats over-unders, odds
By Adam Rittenberg
Do you think Wisconsin running back Melvin Gordon will match or eclipse last season's rushing total of 1,609 yards? Is Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller capable of another 36-touchdown season?
Have a good feeling about the Big Ten's rushing or passing leader? Well, you will want to grab your wallet and read on.
Bovada has set over-unders on several key Big Ten statistical milestones for the 2014 season.
Let's check 'em out:
- Miller's total passing yards: 2,095.5 (last season: 2,094 yards)
- Miller's total rushing yards: 850.5 (last season: 1,068)
- Miller's total rushing and passing touchdowns: 32.5 (last season: 36)
- Gordon's total rushing yards: 1,554.5 (last season: 1,609)
- Gordon's total rushing touchdowns: 14.5 (last season: 12)
- Stefon Diggs' total receiving yards: 950.5 (last season: 587*)
- Diggs total receiving touchdowns: 6.5 (last season: 3*)
*Diggs appeared in only seven games last season because of injury
Bovada also sets odds on the Big Ten's top statistical races:
Jeremy Langford, Michigan State: 3/1
David Cobb, Minnesota: 13/4
Tevin Coleman, Indiana: 7/2
Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska: 4/1
Shane Wynn, Indiana: 2/1
Devin Funchess, Michigan: 9/4
Devin Smith, Ohio State: 3/1
Kenny Bell, Nebraska: 13/4
It's interesting that Bovada's over-under rushing total for Gordon is lower than his 2013 total -- despite the departure of James White -- though he's still the best bet to lead the Big Ten in rushing. The oddsmakers also see a rushing yards drop-off for Miller, who has eclipsed 1,000 yards in each of the past two seasons.
Abdullah could be a good bet for rushing leader (not touchdowns leader, as Imani Cross takes some away from him), and the receiving yards race looks totally wide open.