Thursday, April 15, 2010
Six BT players on Lott Trophy watch list
Six Big Ten defenders have been named to the watch list for the Lott Trophy, an award that recognizes both on-field performance and off-field character attributes.
The watch list includes 42 players, and here are the six from the Big Ten:
- Purdue senior defensive end Ryan Kerrigan
- Iowa junior safety Tyler Sash
- Michigan State senior linebacker Greg Jones
- Ohio State senior defensive lineman Cameron Heyward
- Ohio State senior linebacker Ross Homan
- Wisconsin junior defensive end J.J. Watt
Can't argue with any of those choices.
The Lott Trophy winner receives $25,000 for his school's general scholarship fund, while three runners-up each receive $5,000 for their schools' scholarship funds. The winner will be announced Dec. 12 in Newport Beach, Calif.
Only one Big Ten players has won the Lott Trophy in the award's six-year history, as Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis took home the hardware in 2008.