Thursday, May 6, 2010
Big Ten lunch links
By ESPN.com staff
Word of the day: Byfuglien.
- Here's a very favorable outlook for the Big Ten in the 2011 NFL draft, including three out of the first four picks and five out of the top 16.
- A significant expansion from the Big Ten would send shock waves through college sports, Phil Miller writes in the Star Tribune. The Big Ten Network and the revenue it generates is the driving force behind expansion, Miller writes.
- Former Big Ten standouts Curtis Painter and Drew Stanton are among the quarterbacks who didn't live up to the hype in the NFL, colleague Bruce Feldman writes.
- Iowa made a $55,000 profit from its Orange Bowl trip, B.A. Morelli writes in the Iowa City Press-Citizen. The kickoff time for Iowa's road game at Michigan is set, and the Hawkeyes will host only one night game this fall, Marc Morehouse writes in The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette.
- Freshman running back Silas Redd is making some noise at Penn State, Jared Shanker writes in The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News.
- Three Purdue quarterback greats will gather June 22 in West Lafayette.
- Michigan and Michigan State both are in the mix for offensive tackle prospect Aundrey Walker, Sam Webb writes in The Detroit News.
- The mother of the late Northwestern football player Rashidi Wheeler is being sued for not paying her legal fees, Serena Maria Daniels writes in the Chicago Tribune. Northwestern season-ticket holders now can buy more tickets to the Wrigley Field game, Teddy Greenstein writes.