Friday, August 13, 2010
Big Ten lunch links
It's Friday the 13th. Scared?
- Joe Paterno admitted Thursday what many have long believed: that his assistants carry the load, Ron Musselman writes in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Former Penn State quarterback Zack Mills can relate to what the Lions' current QB candidates are going through, Cory Giger writes in The Altoona Mirror. Paterno drops his weekly radio show and other Penn State notes from the Philadelphia Daily News' Bernard Fernandez.
- Michigan's case before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions focuses on defending head coach Rich Rodriguez, Michael Rosenberg and Mark Synder write in the Detroit Free Press. Rodriguez faces the greatest test of his professional career in 2010, Bob Wojnowski writes in The Detroit News.
- Ohio State tackle Mike Adams knows it's his time to shine, Ken Gordon writes in The Columbus Dispatch. Jim Tressel is among those who talked to the NFL about stopping the agent problem in college football. Ohio State is Playboy's pick to win it all this fall.
- Northwestern's running backs are always competing, ESPNChicago.com's Scott Powers writes. Missed this from a while back, but Northwestern will renew its series with Duke from 2015-18.
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Doug Lesmerises has three Big Ten teams in the top 10 of his AP preseason poll ballot.
- The Replogle family is building a legacy at Indiana, but senior Tyler Replogle wants to be remembered by reaching two bowl games, Terry Hutchens writes in The Indianapolis Star. Junior college transfer Andre Kates has finally reached the big stage, Dustin Dopirak writes in The (Bloomington) Herald-Times (subscription required).
- Minnesota's wide receivers are focused on blocking this preseason, Phil Miller writes in the Star Tribune. After losing all three starting linebackers, the Gophers look for big things from Mike Rallis, Marcus Fuller writes in the (St. Paul) Pioneer Press.
- The right tackle position remains unsettled for Michigan State, Matt Charboneau writes in The Detroit News.
- Speaking of right tackles, Nick Mondek is still transitioning from defense to offense, but he could enter the fall as Purdue's starter there, Mike Carmin writes in The (Lafayette) Journal and Courier.
- Iowa star defensive end Adrian Clayborn has earned his head coach's respect, Pat Harty writes in the Iowa City Press-Citizen. A Q&A with DJK from The Sporting News' Dave Curtis.
- A knee injury will sideline Wisconsin defensive tackle Jordan Kohout for a few days, Jeff Potrykus writes in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- Mikel LeShoure wants to be the bell cow for Illinois this fall, Shannon Ryan writes in the Chicago Tribune. Plenty of Day 4 nuggets from Illinois training camp, Bob Asmussen writes in The (Champaign) News-Gazette.