Monday, August 16, 2010
Big Ten lunch links
By ESPN.com staff
Here at the Big Ten blog, you can always ground your club.
- Sean Keeler and Pat Harty both write that Iowa and its fans should be patient with running back Brandon Wegher as he deals with some personal issues. Iowa boasts the nation's top defensive line, according to Rivals.com.
- Michigan is moving forward as it awaits a ruling from the NCAA, Angelique Chengelis writes in The Detroit News. The Big Ten Network analysts left Michigan impressed with quarterback Denard Robinson, Mark Snyder writes in the Detroit Free Press.
- The Capital Times' Mike Lucas goes inside the minds of Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema and quarterback Scott Tolzien. Wisconsin defensive end J.J. Watt recently got punk'd on Twitter, Jeff Potrykus writes in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Injured (again) linebacker Mike Taylor doesn't care if it's the 10th or 11th game this fall; he just wants to play, Jim Polzin writes in The Capital Times.
- Joe Paterno has earned the right to call his last shot at Penn State, but the decision won't be easy, Joe Starkey writes in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Penn State's quarterback race lacks the wow factor, David Jones writes in The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News.
- Ohio State remains the Big Ten's best chance to challenge the SEC powers in January, Bill Livingston writes in The Cleveland Plain Dealer. Jim Tressel has a veteran offense this year and might open things up more, Ken Gordon and Tim May write in The Columbus Dispatch.
- The (St. Paul) Pioneer Press' Marcus Fuller has a great piece on Minnesota defensive tackle Brandon Kirksey, who has overcome a ton of hardship to become a team leader.
- Northwestern has talked enough about the Outback Bowl loss and needs to get down to business, Tina Akouris writes in the Chicago Sun-Times.
- Michigan State knows it needs to get over the hump in close games, Matt Charboneau writes in The Detroit News. Linebacker Max Bullough isn't performing like a freshman in camp, Shannon Shelton writes in the Detroit Free Press.
- Purdue players love their single-digit jersey numbers, Mike Carmin writes in The (Lafayette) Journal and Courier.
- Indiana tight end Charles Love III is sidelined by a thumb injury, Dustin Dopirak writes in The Hoosier Scoop blog.
- Illinois' offense shined under the lights in the team's first preseason scrimmage, Mark Tupper writes in The (Decatur) Herald & Review.