Monday, August 30, 2010
Big Ten lunch links
By ESPN.com staff
It's game week, people. You ready for some football?
- Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema has grown up in the job, Michael Hunt writes in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Barry Alvarez always said a team needs five great players, and Wisconsin has the magic number this year, Andy Baggot writes in the Wisconsin State Journal.
- Some very revealing stuff from Michigan head coach Rich Rodriguez in this interview with the Detroit Free Press' Mitch Albom. Annarbor.com's Pete Bigelow looks into the crystal ball and sees what Rodriguez needs to turn things around at Michigan this fall. More on Rodriguez and the hot seat from Rivals.com's Tom Dienhart.
- Could Jim Tressel catch the great Woody Hayes in coaching wins at Ohio State? The Columbus Dispatch's Ken Gordon breaks it down. According to Buckeyes receiver Taurian Washington, the team has added Florida State transfer Dionte Allen. If Ohio State wins a national title this fall, the 2008 recruiting class could be a big reason why, Doug Lesmerises writes in The Cleveland Plain Dealer.
- Robert Bolden appears to be Penn State's best quarterback, and The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News' David Jones asks when the freshman should see the field. The Nittany Lions play the Big Ten's toughest schedule this fall, Jared Shanker writes in The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News. Penn State's league schedules for 2011 and beyond have been wiped clean, Cory Giger writes in The Altoona Mirror.
- An in-depth look at Illinois' all-time football roster from The (Champaign) News-Gazette. New coordinator Paul Petrino is being called "the offensive Ron Zook" by Zook himself Shannon Ryan writes in the Chicago Tribune.
- Indiana quarterback Ben Chappell is right at home in his hometown, Dustin Dopirak writes in The (Bloomington) Herald-Times (subscription required). Good guy Bill Lynch will take the Hoosiers bowling this season, Hugh Kellenberger writes in The Herald-Times.
- A great piece on the history of traveling trophies in the Big Ten from The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette's Scott Dochterman.
- Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald refuses to eat at In-N-Out Burger until the Wildcats head back to the Rose Bowl, Teddy Greenstein writes in the Chicago Tribune.
- Michigan State has the ingredients for a renaissance this fall, most importantly team unity, Lynn Henning writes in The Detroit News.
- An in-depth season preview for Iowa from the Iowa City Press-Citizen and Des Moines Register. Quarterback Ricky Stanzi and defensive end Adrian Clayborn are two reasons why Iowa could be special this fall, Marc Morehouse writes in The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette.
- The Detroit Free Press' Shannon Shelton examines the outlook for Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Indiana and Minnesota this fall. Iowa tops the Big Ten in Terry Hutchens' league preview (The Indianapolis Star).
- Minnesota's coaching staff has gone through a lot of shuffling, but co-defensive coordinators Kevin Cosgrove and Ron Lee provide stability, Marcus Fuller writes in the (St. Paul) Pioneer Press.
- The Big Ten is poised for some very big changes in the coming weeks, Bernard Fernandez writes in the Philadelphia Daily News.
- Purdue's strength once again will be through the air this fall, Mike Carmin writes in The (Lafayette) Journal and Courier.