Monday, February 2, 2009
Big Ten lunch links: Badgers protect home turf
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
Signing day is less than 48 hours away, but these links are ready right now.
- Wisconsin takes a quality-over-quantity approach toward in-state recruiting, and it's paying off for Bret Bielema, Tom Mulhern writes in the Wisconsin State Journal.
"Since Bielema took over recruiting, prior to Barry Alvarez's final season in 2005, the Badgers have signed 14 players who have been ranked as four- or five-star recruits by Rivals.com. Nine of them were from Wisconsin. The Badgers have signed six players ranked as four-star recruits or better by Scout.com and five of them were from within the state."
- Ohio State's 2009 recruiting class answers needs and adds depth at several key positions, Tim May and Ken Gordon write in The Columbus Dispatch.
- Santonio Holmes is Ohio State's greatest Super Bowl participant after Sunday night's heroics, Doug Lesmerises writes in The Cleveland Plain Dealer.
- Michigan State has already started on its 2010 recruiting class and is targeting, among others, the cousin of former Ohio State star Vernon Gholston, Matt Dorsey writes in the Detroit Free Press.
- Despite heavy criticism for prosecuting Penn State football players, Centre County District Attorney Michael Madeira plans to seek a second term, Adam Clark writes in The Daily Collegian.