Monday, September 13, 2010
Monday Big Ten personnel nuggets
By ESPN.com staff
Update your depth charts, please ...
- Redshirt freshman defensive end Anthony LaLota has asked for and received his release and intends to transfer from U-M. LaLota, who redshirted in 2009 and hasn't played this season, was rated the nation's No. 13 defensive end in the 2009 class by ESPN recruiting.
- Linebacker Mike Jones likely will have season-ending surgery on his broken leg, and defensive end/linebacker Brandon Herron is day-to-day with an ankle injury.
- Wide receiver David Gilreath (concussion) doesn't appear on this week's depth chart, and his status for the Arizona State game (ABC, 3:30 p.m. ET) is to be determined. Coach Bret Bielema said Monday that Gilreath needs to overcome any post-concussion symptoms before being able to return. Gilreath had to be taken off the field in an ambulance Saturday after taking a blow to the head on a punt return.
- Wide receiver Nick Toon (turf toe), linebacker Chris Borland (shoulder) and defensive end David Gilbert (concussion) all could return to practice Tuesday.
- The status of starting right tackle Josh Oglesby (knee) will be determined later in the week.
- Bielema also said wide receiver Kraig Appleton would have to earn an associate's degree from a junior college before having a chance to return to the team. Appleton was indefinitely suspended in February and struggled academically before leaving school.
- Freshman running back Matt Perez will miss the season after tearing his ACL in practice last week. Perez was a likely redshirt candidate.
- Wide receiver Tandon Doss is expected to practice today after missing the season opener with a groin injury. The All-Big Ten receiver will return Saturday at Western Kentucky. Receiver Dre Muhammad also should return after missing time with an ankle injury.