Sunday, September 19, 2010
Big Ten injury recap
By ESPN.com staff
A few updates on player health from around the league ...
- Iowa might have lost more than a game Saturday night, as running back Jewel Hampton went down with a left knee injury in the second half. Hampton, who missed the entire 2009 season with a knee injury, will undergo an MRI today. Neither Hampton nor coach Kirk Ferentz knew the extent of the injury after the game.
- Good news on Illinois offensive lineman Hugh Thornton, who was taken from the field to the hospital after suffering a scary injury Saturday against Northern Illinois. All tests on Thornton were negative, and he has been released from the hospital with a muscle strain in his neck. According to Illinois, no timetable has been set for Thornton's return, but "the bye week will give him a chance to heal and to be further evaluated."
- Michigan State senior linebacker Eric Gordon left the Notre Dame game in the first quarter and did not return. Teammate Greg Jones told the Lansing State Journal that Gordon was dinged up and will be OK.
- Ohio State had four players -- Devon Torrence, Travis Howard, Donnie Evege and Dorian Bell -- go down with some ailment Saturday. Howard appeared the most serious as he suffered a shoulder injury late in the first half.
- Michigan defensive lineman Greg Banks left the UMass game with an injury that does not appear to be serious, according to coach Rich Rodriguez.