Monday, June 8, 2009
Big Ten lunch links
By ESPN.com staff
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
Fight club isn't about winning or losing fights. Fight club isn't about words. You see a guy come to fight club for the first time, and his [butt] is a loaf of white bread. You see this same guy here six months later, and he looks carved out of wood. This guy trusts himself to handle anything. There's grunting and noise at fight club like at the gym, but fight club isn't about looking good. There's hysterical shouting in tongues like at church, and when you wake up Sunday afternoon you feel saved.
- Tons of interesting Big Ten-related recruiting bits from the Nike Football Training Camp in Illinois. The Fighting Illini are pushing to add standout wide receiver Kyle Prater, colleague Bill Kurelic writes. Illinois commit Chandler Whitmer and Michigan commit Devin Gardner were among the standout quarterbacks, Bill Conley writes. Also check out the position-by-position MVPs.
- Iowa picked up another defensive recruit as lineman Louis Trinca-Pasat committed to the Hawkeyes, Andy Hamilton writes in the Iowa City Press-Citizen.
- Good news for Purdue, as Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick has no intention of scheduling breaks in the annual series between the Fighting Irish and Boilermakers, Michael Rothstein writes in The Fort Wayne Journal Gazette.
- Illinois' athletic department is still finding ways to thrive amid the nation's economic downturn, Loren Tate writes in The (Champaign) News-Gazette.
- Wisconsin isn't getting much love from the preseason mags, Andy Baggott writes in the Wisconsin State Journal.