Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Big Ten to send 12 to Senior Bowl
By ESPN.com staff
The Big Ten will once again be decently represented in the nation's premier all-star game for NFL hopefuls.
Twelve players from Big Ten teams will participate in the Under Armour Senior Bowl on Jan. 29 in Mobile, Ala. Wisconsin and Iowa both are sending three players to the game, while five other Big Ten teams will be represented.
The participants are:
- Iowa defensive tackle Christian Ballard
- Iowa defensive end Adrian Clayborn
- Iowa quarterback Ricky Stanzi
- Wisconsin offensive tackle Gabe Carimi
- Wisconsin guard John Moffitt
- Wisconsin tight end Lance Kendricks
- Michigan State linebacker Greg Jones
- Michigan State cornerback Chris L. Rucker
- Indiana offensive tackle James Brewer
- Michigan guard Stephen Schilling
- Ohio State linebacker Ross Homan
- Purdue defensive end Ryan Kerrigan
It's interesting to see some players included who might have flown under the radar during the season but project well to the NFL. Ballard and Brewer certainly fit into this category.
Ohio State and Michigan both have only one representative, although Buckeyes cornerback Chimdi Chekwa would have made the roster if he didn't suffer a broken wrist in the Sugar Bowl.
The group includes three potential first-round picks in Kerrigan, Carimi and Clayborn.
Should be fun to see how they all perform.