Friday, February 25, 2011
Recruit Carter Jr. signs with Ohio State
By ESPN.com staff
Ohio State's heralded 2011 recruiting class is finally complete.
Offensive lineman Chris Carter Jr. signed his letter of intent with the Buckeyes on Thursday, giving Ohio State 24 recruits in a class rated No. 7 nationally by ESPN Recruiting.
Carter, who hails from Cleveland, didn't sign with Ohio State on national signing day after being arrested the day before on suspicion of misdemeanor sexual imposition. Cleveland police later said there wasn't enough evidence to charge Carter with a crime.
"We are excited Chris will be a Buckeye," Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said in a prepared statement. "He has had a great support system at home, as well as at his high school with the likes of his principal, Maryum Sims, his athletic director, Velma Pettiegrew, and his coach, Scott Wodtly. They truly believe that Chris will have great success on and off the field at Ohio State."
Carter, no relation to the former Ohio State star receiver, should help Ohio State's depth along the offensive line. The Buckeyes lose two starters from last year's line and will lose three more -- center Mike Brewster and tackles Mike Adams and J.B. Shugarts -- following the 2011 season.