Friday, July 8, 2011
B1G players on Outland, Nagurski lists
By Brian Bennett
If football is won by the guys inside the trenches doing the dirty work, then the Big Ten should be in fine shape for 2011.
The league placed 13 players on the Outland Trophy preseason watch list, the most by any conference. Offensive guards and centers and tackles on both sides of the ball are eligible for the Outland award. Wisconsin's Gabe Carimi took home the trophy last season.
Here's the list of the big guys from the Big Ten who have been recognized:
- Mike Brewster, C, Ohio State
- Jared Crick, DT, Nebraska
- Joel Foreman, OG, Michigan State
- Mike Martin, DT, Michigan
- Al Netter, OT, Northwestern
- Akeem Spence, DT, Illinois
- Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
- Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin
Brewster, Crick, Reiff and Martin should be in contention for major awards this season, and the others on this list could end up there as well.
Also announced today was the watch list for the Bronco Nagurski Award, which goes to the nation's top defensive player. The Big Ten placed 10 players on that list, including Outland watch listers Crick, Martin, Short, Spence and Worthy. The others on the list are:
- Vince Browne, DE, Northwestern
- Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska
- Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska
- Michael Mauti, LB, Penn State