Monday, August 31, 2009
Purdue releases Week 1 depth chart
By ESPN.com staff
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
Purdue's depth charts were rewritten almost every day of training camp, but head coach Danny Hope drafted the one that counts on Sunday.
It's pretty clear youth will be served this fall at Purdue, as seven freshmen or sophomores are listed in starting roles for the season opener Saturday against Toledo. Sophomore Ralph Bolden, who had a superb spring, got the edge at running back over fifth-year senior Jaycen Taylor, though both men likely will log plenty of carries this fall.
Other items of note:
- Sophomore Gerald Gooden and redshirt freshman Kawann Short earned the starting spots at defensive end and defensive tackle, respectively, alongside veterans Mike Neal and Ryan Kerrigan. Purdue's defensive line is filled with young players other than Neal and Kerrigan.
- Senior wide receiver Royce Adams, a converted cornerback, earned a starting job alongside junior Keith Smith and senior Aaron Valentin. Backing them up are a bunch of young players, including true freshmen Gary Bush and Antavian Edison, both of whom have impressed in camp. Adams and Valentin also will return kicks.
- Purdue is very young at left tackle, with sophomore Dennis Kelly listed as the starter ahead of redshirt freshmen Peters Drey and Monroe Brooks.
- Sophomore Carson Wiggs will handle field goals and kickoffs, while senior Chris Summers will serve as the team's punter. Wiggs took over field-goal duties from Summers midway through last season.
- Senior linebacker Jason Werner reclaims his starting job after missing all of last season with back problems. Backing up Werner and middle linebacker Chris Carlino are two promising true freshmen -- Dwayne Beckford and Antwon Higgs.