Friday, August 12, 2011
Big Ten lunch links
By Adam Rittenberg
Ohio State's appearance before the NCAA's infractions committee is under way, and we'll have reaction later today on the blog.
Now, to the links.
- If you want to pick on Indiana's football past, don't expect Kevin Wilson to play along, Andy Graham writes in The (Bloomington) Herald-Times (subscription required). Hoosiers freshman quarterback Tre Roberson has stood out in practice.
- Florida Atlantic's coaching vacancy could interest Purdue offensive coordinator Gary Nord, Mike Carmin writes in The (Lafayette) Journal and Courier. Stacy Clardie breaks down the keys to Purdue's 2011 season.
- Minnesota freshman offensive lineman Tommy Olson is quickly moving up the depth chart, Marcus Fuller writes in the (St. Paul) Pioneer Press.
- New Illinois athletic director Mike Thomas arrives with a strong reputation, especially for hiring coaches, David Haugh writes in the Chicago Tribune. The Illini are looking for young receivers to step up.
- A veteran Northwestern team is oozing confidence. Wildcats linebacker Bryce McNaul is counting the days until his brother returns from Afghanistan, Tina Akouris writes in the Chicago Sun-Times.
- Ohio State's linebacker competition heats up, Doug Lesmerises writes in The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer. Freshman quarterback Braxton Miller focuses on learning the offense, Bill Rabinowitz writes in The Columbus Dispatch.
- Michigan State freshman linebacker Lawrence Thomas will miss at least a week with a shoulder injury. Spartans juco transfer Fou Fonoti is in the mix for a starting offensive tackle spot, Joe Rexrode writes in the Lansing State Journal.
- Michigan moves Brandon Herron from strongside linebacker to the weak side, annarbor.com's Kyle Meinke writes.
- Iowa tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz is ready to blossom this fall, Ryan Suchomel writes in the Iowa City Press-Citizen. Five things to watch during Iowa's scrimmage on Saturday.
- It's back to business for JoePa at Penn State, Jeff Rice writes in the Centre Daily Times. Black Shoe Diaries previews Penn State's tight ends.
- Good news for Wisconsin as quarterback Jon Budmayr's elbow injury doesn't appear serious. The Badgers are taking no chances with linebacker Chris Borland in camp, Jeff Potrykus writes in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- The football field is Nebraska coach Bo Pelini's sanctuary, Steven M. Sipple writes in the Lincoln Journal Star. Colleague Chris Fallica writes Nebraska must reverse recent trends to win a Big Ten title in Year 1.