Friday, August 26, 2011
Iowa releases Week 1 depth chart
By Adam Rittenberg
It has been a fairly quiet training camp at Iowa despite some position competition on both sides of the ball.
The Hawkeyes on Friday released their depth chart for the season opener against Tennessee Tech. Not too many surprises here.
A few notes:
- Only three spots list co-starters: Matt Tobin and Brandon Scherff at left guard, Matt Meyers and Jonathan Gimm at fullback, and Thomas Nardo and Dominic Alvis at defensive tackle. Alvis also is listed as a backup at defensive end behind Lebron Daniel. Fullback Brad Rogers, sidelined before the Insight Bowl with a heart issue, isn't listed on the two-deep.
- Redshirt freshman quarterback A.J. Derby seems to be stepping up his game, as he's listed as a co-backup with junior John Wienke.
- After starting last season at cornerback, Micah Hyde is listed as Iowa's starting free safety, ahead of Tanner Miller. Hyde also is a backup cornerback behind Greg Castillo. Junior Collin Sleeper is listed as the starting strong safety, while Jordan Bernstine is a backup at both strong safety and cornerback. There's not a ton of depth in the Iowa secondary, which could be a problem.
- Junior Jason White is listed as the backup running back behind Marcus Coker.
- Sophomore Christian Kirksey is listed as the starting weak-side linebacker ahead of classmate Anthony Hitchens.
- Iowa's return men for both kickoffs and punts are to be determined.