Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Big Ten lunch links
By ESPN.com staff
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
A quick note from Penn State: Linebacker Josh Hull said fellow 'backer Navorro Bowman (groin) was limited at Tuesday's practice. Don't expect to see Bowman out there when the Lions face Temple on Saturday. There's no need to risk further injury before Big Ten play begins next week.
- Those expecting Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel to give up play-calling duties will be disappointed, Ken Gordon writes in The Columbus Dispatch. Tressel might tick off Buckeye fans with this quote. A breakdown of why Tressel-ball no longer works, Chris Brown writes at Yahoo! Sports.
- Fixing the offensive line is Penn State's top priority before the Temple game, Joe Juliano writes in the Philadelphia Inquirer. The Lions pick up their fullback for the future.
- Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio faces some adversity and his first real test, and he takes it with a smile, Drew Sharp writes in the Detroit Free Press. Kirk Cousins is leading Michigan State's quarterback race, but Keith Nichol hasn't given up hope.
- Despite fan complaints, Wisconsin won't stop scheduling FCS teams, Jim Polzin writes in The Capital Times.
- Iowa left tackle Bryan Bulaga (illness) will be back, but when he returns remains a bit fuzzy, Marc Morehouse writes in The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette.
- Michigan head coach Rich Rodriguez says Tate Forcier's poise reminds him of Pat White, Mark Snyder writes in the Detroit Free Press. Rodriguez and Michigan are featured prominently in colleague Ivan Maisel's piece about the difficulty of defining a coaching "fit."
- Minnesota's offense strives for greater consistency against Cal, Kent Youngblood writes in the Star Tribune. The Gophers likely need to put up points because of this guy, Marcus Fuller writes in the (St. Paul) Pioneer Press.
- Purdue quarterback Joey Elliott doesn't dwell on his mistakes, Mike Carmin writes in The (Lafayette) Journal and Courier.
- Indiana brought officials to practice after the team was flagged for 13 penalties last week, Dustin Dopirak writes in The (Bloomington) Herald-Times.
- Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald and Syracuse's Doug Marrone have a lot in common, Lindsay Kramer writes in The (Syracuse) Post-Standard.