Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Nebraska's Caputo facing reduced charge
By Adam Rittenberg
Nebraska starting center Mike Caputo will be charged with reckless driving rather than DUI stemming from a Dec. 11 citation in Lincoln.
Court records show Caputo will face the reduced charge Thursday. Caputo had been arrested for suspicion of DUI. It's a good thing for Caputo and could factor into any penalties he receives from Huskers head coach Bo Pelini.
Caputo has been participating in practices as Nebraska prepares for its Jan. 2 Capital One Bowl matchup against South Carolina. Pelini said Tuesday he was close to making a decision on discipline for Caputo, who has started every game the past two seasons. The Huskers undoubtedly would benefit from having Caputo on the field against South Carolina's talented defensive line.
"I have a pretty decent idea of what I'm going to do," Pelini told reporters Tuesday, "but I want to let things play out a little bit over the next couple of days so I have all the information needed to make the right decision."
Caputo was cited in the early hours of Dec. 11 after police responded to a report of a man slumped over the wheel of a vehicle. A police office found Caputo sleeping in the driver's seat of a running car. Pelini said Tuesday that Huskers defensive lineman Eric Martin will be allowed to play in the bowl game but face some discipline stemming from a citation he received for leaving the scene of an accident.