Thursday, September 24, 2009
Big Ten lunch links: Bulaga out for PSU game
By ESPN.com staff
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
Reading is fundamental.
- No big surprise here, but Iowa left tackle Bryan Bulaga (illness) won't play against Penn State, The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette's Marc Morehouse writes in his blog.
- Ohio State coach Jim Tressel sounded off on fan criticism last week, but Illinois' Ron Zook has dealt with it for some time, Bob Baptist writes in The Columbus Dispatch. The Buckeyes have dominated in-state foes, but Cincinnati thinks its the best team in Ohio, The Associated Press' Joe Kay writes.
- Don't expect to see Penn State linebacker Sean Lee on Saturday against Iowa, Ron Musselman writes in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Lions quarterback Daryll Clark will be out there, and he's looking for redemption, Joe Juliano writes in the Philadelphia Inquirer. Go ahead and pick on Joe Paterno's age, but the Penn State coach gets the last laugh, CBSsports.com's Mike Freeman writes.
- Purdue knows it needs to turn up the heat on Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen, who might be limited by turf toe.
- Minnesota quarterback Adam Weber was surprised to see his roommate Eric Decker showing no ill effects of a vicious hit against Cal, Marcus Fuller writes in the (St. Paul) Pioneer Press.
"I told him, 'There goes your modeling career,'" said Weber, the Gophers' junior quarterback. "I was surprised about how well he was moving around. His face looked the worst, but it was probably good for him -- humbled him a bit."